Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Westlaw or Lexus Nexus?  (Read 6538 times)

difinity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Delicious Study Drugs...
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 01:43:52 PM »
He already said that he used prescription drugs to study throughout school.  He wouldn't be experimenting.  I can't imagine how that's so hard to believe.  I'd say half of my UG did about the same thing.  I know I did.  I've also thought about getting a prescription for law school.  I don't even think I'm ADD, but damn if I wouldn't finish top 5% on that poo.

I don't know anyone who took more than caffeine pills in ugrad and I was in engineering school.  Do you think this varies by campus or am I just oblivious?  I know that law school is competative, but how many people really go this far?
160 / ~3

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »
Simple solution: Go to a school where you are fine without being in the top 10%.

(One of the character downfalls of getting accepted to Georgetown)

ADD is a construct.  That is a psychological term for a man-made group of symptoms that can be diagnosed only through a questionnaire.  These questions will look like...

"Do you have trouble studying or reading for a prolonged period of time?"

Quite a hard hitting question!  And patients are drawn into a false sense of security by their pill-pushing psychiatrists that only get paid if they prescribe and are of the rationalizing mindset that one would just go elsewhere for the drug.

TRUTH:  Long term use of adderall creates little holes in parts of your brain.  Short term use is just meth.

Thanks for discrediting my disability, a-hole.

Fact: most psychological disorders are a "construct", based in part on complex interrelations between disorders and in part on the history of the creation of the DSM-IV.

Fact: brain function of those with ADD is markedly different from those without it.

Fact: there is evidence that ADD/ADHD is overdiagnosed in children but underdiagnosed in adults.

Fact: ADHD can be life-destructive.

Fact: overmedication is a serious problem in our society, particularly here in the US.

Fact: medication for psychological disorders isn't a cure but rather a symptom manager, and should be approached as such.

Fact: levo- and dextroamphetamines are addictive, but so are most prescription Rx.

Fact: levo- and dextroamphetamines alter neurochemistry in the brain.  In patients with ADHD, this is enough to bring the brain to a "normal" state of focus.

Fact: some ADHD patients have no other options, and are at the end of their ropes.

Fact: disparaging this disease makes you a twat.

I bought the same lie of "constructs" for 25 years and it just about ruined my life.  So take your bull elsewhere.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »
Simple solution: Go to a school where you are fine without being in the top 10%.

ADD is a construct.  That is a psychological term for a man-made group of symptoms that can be diagnosed only through a questionnaire.  These questions will look like...

Quite a hard hitting question!  And patients are drawn into a false sense of security by their pill-pushing psychiatrists that only get paid if they prescribe and are of the rationalizing mindset that one would just go elsewhere for the drug.

TRUTH:  Long term use of adderall creates little holes in parts of your brain.  Short term use is just meth.

truth:  you are a feminine hygiene product
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
OMG this is sad!!!

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

gclemen1

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »

Are you kidding me?  EVERY SINGLE DISORDER in the DSM is a construct.  A disorder is nothing more than a deviation from the norm of society.  Also, every single disorder uses a questionairre that identifies the disorder if there are a certain amount of hits on the checklist.  ADHD is no exception. Here is the actual checklist.

DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD
I. Either A or B:

Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Inattention

Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.

Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.

Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.

Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).

Often has trouble organizing activities.

Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).

Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).

Is often easily distracted.

Is often forgetful in daily activities.

Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level:

Hyperactivity

Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.

Often gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected.

Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless).

Often has trouble playing or enjoying leisure activities quietly.

Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor".

Often talks excessively.

Impulsivity

Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished.

Often has trouble waiting one's turn.

Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games).

Some symptoms that cause impairment were present before age 7 years.

Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home).

There must be clear evidence of significant impairment in social, school, or work functioning.

The symptoms do not happen only during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

Based on these criteria, three types of ADHD are identified:

ADHD, Combined Type: if both criteria 1A and 1B are met for the past 6 months

ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is not met for the past six months

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion 1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past six months.

American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Association, 2000.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »
I didn't even think posting all that was necessary, since the comment was so blatantly stupid to begin with.  Thanks, though.

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
OMG this is sad!!!

OMG that makes no sense!!!

Iím not against those that have to take the medications because they need it. But come on, Crystal Meth??? That is neither necessary nor helpful.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
OMG this is sad!!!

OMG that makes no sense!!!

Iím not against those that have to take the medications because they need it. But come on, Crystal Meth??? That is neither necessary nor helpful.

??? ??? ???

Did you miss a joke somewhere?

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
Hey hairless guinea pig...  what part of your hard-hitting questionnaire recorded the levels of your brain chemistry?  I am not saying those with notable difficulties shouldn't seek regulation through drugs, but going to the psychiatrist at 25 after you graduate college and get accepted to law school because you can't study for 5 straight hours like a cyborg is exactly what the medical field wants you to do.  If you can tell me a story of someone you know that went to a psychiatrist, paid for an evaluation and was DENIED adderall or other stimulants, you would win this debate.  But... you can't...  so you lose.