Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I transfer or stay??  (Read 1931 times)

sheriff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Should I transfer or stay??
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
I want to do corporate/business law in a big law firm in NY or DC or BOSTON... (MAYBE, MAYBE CHICAGO)
I'm currently attending a T3 in NY
I have been admitted (EA transfer application) to WUSTL (Washington University in St. Louis   -   Top19 Us News Rankings).
If I remain at the T3 in NY, I'll be in the law review and top ~ 6/7/8/9/10% in my class (...... I HOPE!!!!! .....)

what should I do? should I transfer or remain here? (assuming that these two are the only possibilities I got)

thanks
The George Washington University Class of 2010.

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I transfer or stay??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »
Considering how competitive the legal markets are in the cities you are mentioning, and the fact that you want to pursue big law, I would advise the transfer...

Congrats on WUSTL.  I don't know about how well it places in those cities but you probably have a much better shot at BigLaw coming from there. 

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:18:42 PM »
I would tend to agree. WUSTL is a very well respected school. However, like all schools outside of the T14, it would only place the top 1/3 of the class in big law and probably only top 10-15% in major markets. As a transfer with a high GPA you might be within that group. On the other hand, firms might pass you over because you have not proved yourself at a T1 school. Presumably, you applied to other schools. If your question was should I go to GULC? My answer would be an emphatic yes. For WUSTL, the answer is still yes, but more cautious. 

petethebody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:01:02 PM »
Do you have a summer gig?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »
I go to a school comparatively ranked with WUSTL.  The transfers here tend to do alright in OCI.  I would definitely advise transferring if I were you.  Just think if your grades tank after this semester, then you are at a T3 with absolutely nothing going for you.  The job search is tough and you should do everything possible to make sure you have the best advantage you have.  law review is great, but realistically, its still law review at a T3 (not to knock it at all, but just saying).  I cant think for the life of me where you are at right now, but I would venture to say that there are minimal if any decent firms at OCI.

The firm I work at has maybe 2 tier 3 kids (howard) and that is it.  Its tough even at the top.

NYC2L is right though, even at WUSTL, you would have to be in the top 30% probably.  However, transfer apps just have their grades to go off of from the other school.

me333

• View Profile
-
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
-

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Another Lender Stops Student Loans
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 03:48:05 PM »
This whole situation is making me extremely nervous...I called GULC's financial aid office earlier today, and they said I shouldn't worry about being able to get the loans I need to attend (read: full cost of attendance), but that I may very well end up having to turn to a private lender with less favorable rates. Oy...I also called Citibank (my undergrad loan lender) - they said they're in the process of determining which schools they will offer loans to (meaning there will be some schools that they'll discontinue lending to). Ugh...I don't know what to make of all of this? School is going to be expensive enough, and now all this! It's making me rethink my decision to go for a T14 w/no money over scholarships at other places...  ???

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 07:30:52 PM »
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »
another thing

If you need Grad Plus loans, they will reject the app if you have ANY negative report on your credit for the past 5 years

now THAT is nerve racking!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?