Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Employment possible?  (Read 836 times)

NYC2L

• View Profile
Re: Employment possible?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
Hmmm. That's the trouble with blogs. It's difficult to express emotion.  8) Ahhh. That's better.
I was not suggesting that anyone run their mouths like an idiot nor discuss The Hills in an interview (or anywhere for that matter). My advice was simply for the OP to play to his (or her) strengths.

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »
I don't mind throwing myself under the bus.  I was under median during OCI - I don't know where, exactly, because Michigan doesn't rank.  But I feel confident that I was comfortably under.  I had a really bad 1st semester and a so-so second semester. 

OCI was fine for me.  There were some ego blows, sure: several firms with robust practices in my area of expertise* gave me the cold shoulder.  But I got great interview experience, not to mention a bunch of callbacks.  I ended up going with the firm that was my first choice going into OCI.  It's a quirky process, but don't go in thinking that your grades are going to sink you. 

* I don't mean to sound like a dbag when I use the term 'expertise'.  All I mean is that I have a graduate degree and a bunch of years of work experience in a particular field (and several firms that do a ton of work in that field dinged me). 

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »
You only have 1/2 your grades so far (maybe less?), so I don't think it's time to panic just yet.

I would talk to career services about how to maximize your screening interviews. I know here (GULC) they can tell you which firms are the least and most desirable. They counsel you to bid on less desirable firms if you want/need more interviews.

A mass mail might be a good idea (sans GPA) for all the firms where you did not get a screening interview (and by all firms, I mean almost every last one in the NLJ 250 in any major market, or secondary market you have even a tenuous connection to.

Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

scheme

• View Profile
    • Email
New Brunswick (NJ) area?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »
live around new brunswick? going to LS in the fall? preparing (as per PLS)? study group. email me.

scheme@mailinator.com

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
Re: New Brunswick (NJ) area?
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »
Just wondering, but what LS is in or around New Brunswick NJ?  ???