Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT retake score grid?  (Read 3427 times)

Silence

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LSAT retake score grid?
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 06:10:46 PM »
There's always the Home link at the left.

YES!

LOL! I am loving you right now IrrX!

CTX4258

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 04:29:02 PM »
Good luck CTX.. have you tried the Logical Reasoning Bible?  That worked wonders for my LR sections.

I will be using the LR-Bible and PT's 48 and later.  Also have the 180 but it seems to defeat me readily. 
155/2.78  Soft Factor: ADHD / Full Disclosure

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »
Good luck CTX.. have you tried the Logical Reasoning Bible?  That worked wonders for my LR sections.

I will be using the LR-Bible and PT's 48 and later.  Also have the 180 but it seems to defeat me readily. 

I'm a big fan of the Powerscore materials, and I think they're definitely the best way to go for LR and LG.  I couldn't find anything suitable to help me improve my RC when I studied the first time, however, and found 180 the most useful thing for that purpose.  I also did all of the LR and LG in the book for practice, but ignored Kaplan's methods in favor of the Powerscore methods I had already practiced with. 

I think I'll go back through 180 the week before the LSAT.  It has the toughest questions, therefore I would recommend saving it for the end of your study when you're really trying to perfect your methods.

There are only 6 tests included in the PT 48 and after set (48, 49, 50, 51, 52, and June 2007 on the LSAT website).  Are you sure that is enough practice?  You can get a book of 10 pretty recent PT's for around $20.  You don't have to buy them all separately at $8 each.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
Thanks for the tip of RC.  That's been my most inconsistent section, so maybe I will give the 180 a try.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »

My greatest problem with the RC section is that my score is dependent upon how interesting I find the material.  This sounds rather silly in the sense that I should be interested in anything that affects my ability to get into a good law school, but its sort of the truth.  I bomb anything with lots of hard science (plus the terminology) but do fairly well when history and social science passages are presented.

Me too.  I just don't have a lot of experience reading really technical stuff so sometimes I just kind of glaze over.  The ones with really scientific terminology that I've never heard of are the worst.

CTX4258

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 11:29:57 PM »

My greatest problem with the RC section is that my score is dependent upon how interesting I find the material.  This sounds rather silly in the sense that I should be interested in anything that affects my ability to get into a good law school, but its sort of the truth.  I bomb anything with lots of hard science (plus the terminology) but do fairly well when history and social science passages are presented.

Me too.  I just don't have a lot of experience reading really technical stuff so sometimes I just kind of glaze over.  The ones with really scientific terminology that I've never heard of are the worst.

The 180 is ideal it just seems like such a leap from any other form of study.  I have not looked at the Bibles EVER and feel that they would help me with a 10 pt boost more than the 180. I only need to strengthen the LR sections.  Games and RC ares solid always seem to get 15 right in each LR section.  Tells me im missing some fundamentals!!

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »

The 180 is ideal it just seems like such a leap from any other form of study.  I have not looked at the Bibles EVER and feel that they would help me with a 10 pt boost more than the 180. I only need to strengthen the LR sections.  Games and RC ares solid always seem to get 15 right in each LR section.  Tells me im missing some fundamentals!!

Skip 180 and get the LRB ASAP!!!  You're right, it's full of the fundamentals.  The LRB is by far the best source for self-study in LR.  I would only recommend 180 for advanced practice after you've gone through Bibles since the methods aren't as good as those presented in the LRB. 

Also, I do the best in the Science and very Technical RC passages.  The History and Social Sciences passages are the ones that get me.  I can't believe so many people seem to find the opposite to be true.  It seems like the harder the passage is, the better I do in it.  I guess I'm weird.   ::)
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 04:24:28 PM »

I've got a buddy who swears that the best way to combat advanced scientific terminology is to mentally replace these latin words with more recognizable words such as "cupcakes".  This should reduce confusion.  I personally believe this is the worst advice... ever.  Substituting a benign word everytime you see "anthropod" seems like a recipe for unbelievable levels of confusion leading to utter disaster.  I'm convinced that the results will be so bad the guy sitting next to you's score will decline.

I sort of do this. I don't substitute random words like "cupcakes," but just shorten the words to make it quicker to read and easier to organize in my mind.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 04:28:40 PM »
Sorry :)

CTX4258

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »

I've got a buddy who swears that the best way to combat advanced scientific terminology is to mentally replace these latin words with more recognizable words such as "cupcakes".  This should reduce confusion.  I personally believe this is the worst advice... ever.  Substituting a benign word everytime you see "anthropod" seems like a recipe for unbelievable levels of confusion leading to utter disaster.  I'm convinced that the results will be so bad the guy sitting next to you's score will decline.

RC Essays about science really help my cause.  It is helpful to have Majored in Bio.  However, I seem to bore easily when it comes to passages about literature and art.  Here in lies the problem with the LR.  Like you were saying about Latin and your substitute mentality.  Its a great idea but over all you will be better served to ALWAYS call things by the right name.  Bio-Greek and Latin is the study of roots , prefixes and suffixes used in science.  Its really something that will help out in the long run.