Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT retake score grid?  (Read 3437 times)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT retake score grid?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 08:08:24 PM »
Me too!  Anything you're doing differently to prepare this time?  I took the test last June and I'm kind of low on tests.  I think there might be a handful of recent ones for me to do and then probably 19-29 because I hear anything before that isn't really worth doing?  I think I'm going to go through the bibles again as well, but I just thought I'd see if you have any pointers or ideas on a new approach.

I used the Bibles and Kaplan's LSAT 180 for RC.  I think I zoomed through those instead of really reading carefully and absorbing the material.  Also, I think I took too many timed tests and didn't really focus on learning the material and picking my mistakes apart. 

Still, the mistakes I made on the real LSAT were stupid errors.  I got all of the "hard" ones right and made careless errors by misreading or not paying attention to small details. I also got nervous and took too long on the games.  I think what I need to do more than anything is focus on really picking the material apart, along with improving my concentration and mental endurance.  Those things are so critical!

I took the Sept 07 LSAT, so I'm hoping I've forgotten enough of the specifics of the questions to make the PT's usable again.  I think I've taken every single one of the modern ones.  If I try to take one or two and find that I remember too much to use them, I'm not sure what I'll do.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:13:23 PM »

I used the Bibles and Kaplan's LSAT 180 for RC.  I think I zoomed through those instead of really reading carefully and absorbing the material.  Also, I think I took too many timed tests and didn't really focus on learning the material and picking my mistakes apart. 

Still, the mistakes I made on the real LSAT were stupid errors.  I got all of the "hard" ones right and made careless errors by misreading or not paying attention to small details. I also got nervous and took too long on the games.  I think what I need to do more than anything is focus on really picking the material apart, along with improving my concentration and mental endurance.  Those things are so critical!

I took the Sept 07 LSAT, so I'm hoping I've forgotten enough of the specifics of the questions to make the PT's usable again.  I think I've taken every single one of the modern ones.  If I try to take one or two and find that I remember too much to use them, I'm not sure what I'll do.

I started back studying a few weeks ago, and found that despite having done all the PTs from 19 - 53, I barely remember the questions.  I've been mostly doing older LR sections untimed, writing down why each answer is wrong and why the CR is right, for each question.  I figure I'll do that for a few more weeks, with a few timed sections thrown in (did one today.)  I'm saving the more recent tests (41-54) for the last month, where I'll do a full test every other day.  I'm already down to a consistent -1 on LR (down from my previous -3/5) so I now just have to get to the point where I don't get spooked for any reason whatsoever.  I will be the test ;).

Glad to have your company on the retake, Dot.  I thought I'd have to suffer through just with the newbies ;).
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »

I started back studying a few weeks ago, and found that despite having done all the PTs from 19 - 53, I barely remember the questions.  I've been mostly doing older LR sections untimed, writing down why each answer is wrong and why the CR is right, for each question.  I figure I'll do that for a few more weeks, with a few timed sections thrown in (did one today.)  I'm saving the more recent tests (41-54) for the last month, where I'll do a full test every other day.  I'm already down to a consistent -1 on LR (down from my previous -3/5) so I now just have to get to the point where I don't get spooked for any reason whatsoever.  I will be the test ;).

Glad to have your company on the retake, Dot.  I thought I'd have to suffer through just with the newbies ;).

Ohmygosh!  LOL.  I didn't recognize you at first.  :D

Yeah, I'm so glad to have someone to study/prepare with.  We can be moral support and cheerleaders for one another.  I'm really trying to stick to a very strict study schedule this time, beginning first thing Monday morning.  If I don't improve my score, it won't be for a lack of studying!

I'm done with my MBA, so this time I can give the LSAT my full attention (well...as full as I can with my kids around).  I'm glad to hear you've been able to reuse the tests.  That was a big concern for me.  I hope the same is true for me.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »
If you guys come across any tips while you're re prepping please keep me updated.  I don't plan to start for a couple of weeks (trying to finish up school) but then I should have 5-6 full weeks to devote to it.

Good luck everyone!

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 09:02:18 AM »

Pick the stuff apart and make sure you understand and SEE how the pieces relate in the context of what is presented/the question type, etc.  and READ VERY CAREFULLY/VIGILANTLY (active reading) in order to minimize careless errors.  The moment you get a little careless/are not paying very close attention, the LSAT will pick pocket points from you and rob your score blind without you even knowing it with the old bump and grab distraction technique.

As for tests you remember a lot about, just forget about what the correct answer is and force yourself to reason through the logic and relationships in the same way instead of just playing pin the tail on the donkey in terms of simply selecting the CR. 

It's really as easy as that and just takes time dedicated to forcing yourself to go through ALL THE STEPS over and over again in order to sharpen and burn in your LSAT instincts.

Thanks, Jeffort.  I sure wish I lived near enough to hire you for tutoring (oh, and could afford it).   :D

You are so right about carelessness costing points on the LSAT.  I'm a prime example of that.  If I could show you the questions I missed, you'd laugh.  I think the important thing now is for me to move on and not repeat the same mistakes.  I have a lot of hard work ahead of me, but I'm ready for it.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
If you guys come across any tips while you're re prepping please keep me updated.  I don't plan to start for a couple of weeks (trying to finish up school) but then I should have 5-6 full weeks to devote to it.

Good luck everyone!

No offense towards you intended with this.  You are going to have to stay vigilant and take the time to read through threads and back posts and such and put in that work to keep up with all the various pearls of wisdom and perspective people share and talk about in online LSAT discussion forums.  Things move pretty quick and change/migrate from topic to topic, issue to issue, day by day and NOBODY has the time to organize and condense it for you.  Doing that work for yourself and creating your own condensed outlines is a big part LSAT prep and getting good at it regardless of whether you are getting your information from strangers on the net, from books, from a class, or from a tutor.

Case in point, there is a student I am tutoring, the other day I put something in front of him that involves concepts and techniques we have covered numerous times in previous sessions.  I did it as a challenge test to see where he is at with that stuff.  He floundered and didn't remember the relevant (and simple) methods and concepts we had already spent a lot of time on previously. 

I asked him WHY?  He said he forgot about that stuff.  I asked him "Where are those notes about it I saw you take?  Didn't you re-write them out into a condensed outline right after our session like I told you to do and then review them occasionally WHILE DOING PRACTICE PROBLEMS with stuff of that type like I assigned in order to burn it in?"

His answer:  "No, I didn't do that and forgot where those notes are, they are scattered all around in the books written in the margins so I just worked other problems, can we go over it again?" 

I wanted to him at that moment, but instead said "ok, it's your $$, call it learning money, please do your assigned homework ASAP after we are done today, OK?  Please, pretty please? So that I don't end up right in front of you next session.

Jeffort- I wasn't asking for them to repost all the stuff that's in the other threads.  If you had read all of my other comments on this thread you would see I've already prepped before, twice, and I was just telling dotlyn and the others that are retaking for a second time that if they stumbled across anything that helped them out in their REprepping efforts I'd love to hear what THEY have to say about it.  I used the LSAT boards to prep the first time and though I found them helpful, this time I was really just curious as to how fellow retakers from this cycle were going about things.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
I understand.  It can be frustrating when people ask questions that are clearly answered all over the board.  I really just wanted the personal experiences and opinions of my fellow retakers that are going through the same thing I am right now in trying to prepare to reprep, which is a very different experience I think than prepping the first time.   

CTX4258

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
I will be with you all in June for the Re-Take Will study mainly LR.  Looking for a 10 point bump
155/2.78  Soft Factor: ADHD / Full Disclosure

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
Good luck CTX.. have you tried the Logical Reasoning Bible?  That worked wonders for my LR sections.

Silence

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »

Good luck everyone!

No offense towards you intended with this.  You are going to have to stay vigilant and take the time to read through threads and back posts and such and put in that work to keep up with all the various pearls of wisdom and perspective people share and talk about in online LSAT discussion forums.  Things move pretty quick and change/migrate from topic to topic, issue to issue, day by day and NOBODY has the time to organize and condense it for you.  Doing that work for yourself and creating your own condensed outlines is a big part LSAT prep and getting good at it regardless of whether you are getting your information from strangers on the net, from books, from a class, or from a tutor.

Case in point, there is a student I am tutoring, the other day I put something in front of him that involves concepts and techniques we have covered numerous times in previous sessions.  I did it as a challenge test to see where he is at with that stuff.  He floundered and didn't remember the relevant (and simple) methods and concepts we had already spent a lot of time on previously. 

I asked him WHY?  He said he forgot about that stuff.  I asked him "Where are those notes about it I saw you take?  Didn't you re-write them out into a condensed outline right after our session like I told you to do and then review them occasionally WHILE DOING PRACTICE PROBLEMS with stuff of that type like I assigned in order to burn it in?"

His answer:  "No, I didn't do that and forgot where those notes are, they are scattered all around in the books written in the margins so I just worked other problems, can we go over it again?" 

I wanted to him at that moment, but instead said "ok, it's your $$, call it learning money, please do your assigned homework ASAP after we are done today, OK?  Please, pretty please? So that I don't end up right in front of you next session.

Jeffort,

I know this was thrown out for everyone to follow...however, if we had a search key to find the hot button topics that we are struggling with then it would be a heck of a lot easier to find relevant posts to cater to our weaknesses. Just thought I would throw that out there in the universe. (I have read enough posts to know that you have a search button, but what about those of us that don't? ... I WANT ONE!!  :-*)

Oh...by the way the links that you gave masterthegame were brilliant!