Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT retake score grid?  (Read 3417 times)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
LSAT retake score grid?
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:57:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'll be re-taking the LSAT in June 08.  I remember once seeing a chart that laid out how each score usually scored on re-take (the percentage that scored higher, the percentage that scored lower and how much).  I remember it was in a type of grid format with all of the scores on the left.  Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about, or know where I can find it?

I'm trying to decide if this is a good idea or not, and am looking for some hard data on the risk vs. benefit of retaking.  My first score was a 167 in Sep '07. I was practicing in the 167-173 range. 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
There's no such thing as a lifestyle firm
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 06:55:55 PM »
This is something that has been driving me crazy. I always hear about people wanting "lifestyle" firms. These are a myth, as far as I can tell. Every so-called lifestyle fimr ends up having just as many horror stories as the "sweatshops." Every firm has a minimum billables requiremement, except those that don't need to becasuse they just dump enough work on you to keep you there for at least 2000 hours per year. I honestly think the lifestyle firm is a myth perpetuated by people bitter about not winning the OCI lottery (and lets be honest its kind of a crap shoot).

NYC2L

• View Profile
Re: There's no such thing as a lifestyle firm
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »
From my experience, I agree with you that lifestyle firms in the sense of less hours are a myth. It's simple economics really. How can a firm compete in the marketplace if they do not require the work output that other law firms demand? Further, how can a firm afford to pay associates the going rate, for less work? The firm would have to pay less which would discourage some of the best students from going there.

What I think the notion of a lifestyle firm actually reflects is the firm's culture. Some firms are known for being more laid back than others. For example, some CA firms do not have a dress code. Associates can walk around in jeans and flip-flops. Other firms are known for being really good to their associates. They work just the same but they are not treated like sh*t at 4 a.m.

The only way to work less hours is to be in a practice group that is slow (like many corporate ones are right now). Of course the down side is that you might get laid up. In addition, I have heard that certain practice groups are more conducive to working regular hours. For example, litigation revolves around courts so usually there is not the sudden demand that a document be drafted in 48 hrs like often occurs on the deal side. That means an associate can manage their time more easily. 

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »
I agree that some firms are, overall, nicer than others, but it is really hard to tell which is which. The LA firm that lets you wear jeans has, from what I hear, a lot of yellers. People focus on one aspect and draw way too many conclusions.

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:10:32 PM »
I agree that some firms are, overall, nicer than others, but it is really hard to tell which is which. The LA firm that lets you wear jeans has, from what I hear, a lot of yellers. People focus on one aspect and draw way too many conclusions.

First, there are more than one such firms. Second, I was not drawing glib conclusions. I was merely providing examples of what could be construed as indicating a lifestyle firm. If, as you say, that firm has lots of yellers, maybe they are not a lifestyle firm. However, for an associate in a practice group not headed by a yeller, the firm could be a lifestyle firm merely because of the dress code. Clearly, for someone else, that one aspect might not make a lifestyle firm in their view. There are numerous aspects that could make a lifestyle firm and numerous personality types that would view lifestyle in different ways. Finally, you are right it is very hard to tell which firms are nicer. However, you can acquire some understanding by going to firm events and talking to young associates or 3Ls at your school or summered at the firm last summer. To paraphrase Obama, "are you bitter or something?"

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT retake score grid?
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 02:43:52 PM »
Thank you, Jeffort!  It was driving me crazy.  I could NOT remember where I saw it.

ETA:  That really cemented my decision.  It looks like the odds are in my favor.  98/124 scored as well or better, with the average re-take being roughly 170. 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »
Dotlyn I'm in the same boat as you with the 167.  That is encouraging information.  I was practicing in the 169-174 range, with an average of 171, so hopefully I can improve at least a few points.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »
Dotlyn I'm in the same boat as you with the 167.  That is encouraging information.  I was practicing in the 169-174 range, with an average of 171, so hopefully I can improve at least a few points.

Great to have someone else on the "beat that 167" team.  I hope you and I can personally help to raise those statistics even higher.   ;D

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »
Me too!  Anything you're doing differently to prepare this time?  I took the test last June and I'm kind of low on tests.  I think there might be a handful of recent ones for me to do and then probably 19-29 because I hear anything before that isn't really worth doing?  I think I'm going to go through the bibles again as well, but I just thought I'd see if you have any pointers or ideas on a new approach.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 05:39:45 PM »
Did you prep a lot the firs time?  I'm afraid I will have forgotten a lot of techniques and such since it's been a year.  I will admit I prepped some in November because I retook in Dec, but because of a medication I had just gotten on I had a real problem concentrating and wasn't feeling well at all so I just left after a section or two.  That's not like me at all so I'm pretty sure that was the reason.

Is it like riding a bike though?  I know I'll have to prep again, but I don't get out of school for a week or so and I was only planning on prepping for 5 or 6 weeks since I'm low on materials.