Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: reputation  (Read 1343 times)

spacemule

• View Profile
I've noticed that there is a reputation number associated with each user id, but I see no place to add reputation.  I assume only posters with higher post counts gain this ability?  I must say the system seems counter intuitive, because I currently have a -5 reputation number.  Usually, positive reputation is associated with positive numbers, and the inverse relationship here has me confused.  I know I haven't received negative reputation, because I am so overwhelmingly charming and everyone wants to be just like me. 

This is not the point of my post, however.  I must say I find anonymous reputation ratings to be rather spineless and juvenile.  If someone has a point, they should make it publicly.  If they are not comfortable with making their point, why are they giving reputation, and why are they in law school?

On a side note, I'm curious; how does it feel to not be the smartest person in the room?  Everyone feel free to answer in your own words.   ;D

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: reputation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
I just made you a -6. 

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
almost everyone on here has negative reputation regardless of what they contribute.
I guess it's just indicative of what law students are generally like.

spacemule

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
almost everyone on here has negative reputation regardless of what they contribute.
I guess it's just indicative of what law students are generally like.
Yes, I've noticed that.  I must say this board does not reflect the people I go to school with at all.  My school has a great sense of team spirit, and everyone gets along.  Perhaps I read too much into this sort of thing, but I see a lot of angst on this board.  Sad really. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:05:34 PM »
You know what's funny is that I used to have a +5 reputation and I think it made me be nicer to people.  I don't know, I think because most people have a negative rating, I just really wanted to keep my positive rating.  Then I made one negative post and my rating plummeted.  I've been a male private part ever since.  I'm a product of society, man.

spacemule

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
ha ha  Touche!   :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »
I gave you all +1's, lol.  Yea, on the undergrad side, they use a different rating system.  I kind of like it though.  Im a generally nice person but get completely annoyed with some of the people on LSD, but the ratings kinda keep me in check and be a little more tactful.  I think people often forget that, in a virtual world, there are still people on the other side of the comments. 

now i feel kinda doctor phil ish.

damn.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 10:12:16 PM »
In light of thorc's generosity, I decided to give everyone a +1 as well.  Of course, this leaves spacemule with only a 0 from me since I took one away earlier to be a male private part.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:28:50 AM »
I started off positive and then said I liked law school and didn't think it was that hard and that I liked my classmates and all of a sudden I was at about -20. 

I also think students at the T3/T4 are trigger-happy with the negative reputation score whenever anyone states the truism that their job prospects are not as good.    And if you can't go to an anonymous message board to get opinions on what people REALLY think, then where can you go?   I think that makes me more antagonistic on message boards than in real life. 

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:03:33 AM »
Don't put too much stock in reputation, Ive got 20+ posts with 0 reputation and I assure you all  that Im the worst kind of person. 

--- And I laughed out loud when Peaches blamed his poor reputation on kids from T3/T4 schools.... I heard a T3 graduate was behind the poor intelligence that led us into a war w/ Iraq.   just  a rumor.