Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Kansas Job Prospects  (Read 479 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
University of Kansas Job Prospects
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
I've read a lot of heated arguments about whether or not going to a T3 or T4 school is a bad investment, but I haven't heard that much about T2 schools.

I'll be a 1L Jayhawk this fall and I'm wondering if anybody can give me information on the potential return on my investment.
Will almost all of the top half in my class have good job prospects?

DuckHuntinLawyer

• View Profile
Re: University of Kansas Job Prospects
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »
Not if your looking for a job in KC. You'll have to be higher than that or work your ass off networking

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
I'd suggest contacting admissions and ask if they can give you the email addys or phone #'s for some 3Ls.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 02:05:54 PM »
Not if your looking for a job in KC. You'll have to be higher than that or work your ass off networking

Well I'm hoping  (just like everyone else) that I'll end up in the top quarter. I've also heard that getting much higher than that has a lot to do with luck.

DuckHuntinLawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »
Not to be a pessimist, but don't EXPECT anything while being top 25% either. You're only somewhat safe if you're in the top 10%. Even then, its not certain (especially if you have an incompatible personality).

The bottom line is, if you want a job you're going to have to work hard to get it (i.e. good grades + journal + moot court + NETWORKING)

If you work hard, you will get a job.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »
I went to KU for my undergrad, and I'm from the Kansas City area. While I'm not intimately familiar with the job prospects, I will say that there are a lot of Kansas grads working at places like Shook, Hardy and Bacon. While I'm certain they only take the cream of the crop, as they can recruit from higher ranked schools, you at least have a shot. I'm pretty sure they do OCI at KU Law as well. If you want to leave the KC market though, It might be tougher. KU took a pretty big hit in the rankings about 2 years ago. Clearly if you want to practice in KC, KU is a good school. Large alumni network, etc. However, the money isn't so hot in KC. I'm headed to Georgetown in the Fall (transfer) and I'm starting to think about firms I want to focus on for fall OCI. I've given some thought to SHB (I worked there during undergrad), but they only pay $105k, and the hours are substantially the same as the Chicago firms that pay $160. While $105 will go far in KC, it still won't go as far as $160 in Chicago will. The only "Advantage" of going to KU Law, assuming your in-state, is the absurdly low tuition. Lower loans will allow you more options when you graduate. I feel like I have to look for a $160k job because I'm going to have $120k in loans when I graduate. Anyway, good luck at KU. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!