Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?  (Read 10790 times)

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »
Because of my atrocious LSAT score, which will limit me to a T3/T4 school, should I be shut out of a legal education?

I'd be glad to respond.  I do not think you, or anyone with your credentials, should be automatically excluded from law school.  I was never a proponent of doing away with t3 and t4, but only t4, or even just half of t4.  Having 250 law schools in this country produces incompetent lawyers in a highly intellectually challenging field.  I also think the LSAT is slightly overrated.  In my perfect imaginary system, there would be 130 or so accredited law schools and the criteria for acceptance would be 60% academic record INCLUDING GRAD SCHOOL, 30% LSAT, and 10% soft factors.  In this system, you would surely get into a t2 at minimum, ergo, you should/would not be excluded.

Problems with the current system...

1) You can play nintendo and smoke weed all through college  
   maintaining a 2.9 gpa and still break into t1.

2) You can neglect to open a book all through college, get a 2.0, take  
   the LSAT with zero aptitude for logical reasoning and analysis and  
   get 145, and since you want to satisfy your rich parents without  
   getting a job, you can still get into law school at a t4.

I'm not going to pretend for a second that I know what is going on with the ABA and their economic interests in accrediting law schools on every corner of every street, but I have my suspicions, and it is tarnishing the profession.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2008, 04:42:31 PM »
Fair enough and I appreciate your response. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »
If you read what I wrote earlier you would see that I think Tiers 1 and 2 should remain.

That's fantastic.  What about Akron?

Dude, it's not rocket science.  Tiers 1 and 2 = 100 law schools. 

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »
If you read what I wrote earlier you would see that I think Tiers 1 and 2 should remain.

That's fantastic.  What about Akron?

Dude, it's not rocket science.  Tiers 1 and 2 = 100 law schools. 

Oh, I'm sorry..  I thought it was rocket science.. but you've dumbed it down to the level of just trusting US News (Or whatever other top 100 ranking) to decide which law schools get to stay!  That's amazing.  So 101 just gets the shaft   "Hey Akron, you're a great school, but sorry... NO SCHOOL FOR YOU"

I've heard a lot of people tell me that going to a T3 wouldn't be that bad at all if I could get a good scholarship.  But maybe you feel like I would dumb down the profession and be incompetent if I chose a T3 over a T2.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2008, 08:32:37 PM »
So what, you are a 0L? Hahahhaha.  Come and talk to me a year after you attend that Tier 3.  Let me know how your job prospects are dipshit.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2008, 12:19:20 AM »
So what, you are a 0L? Hahahhaha.  Come and talk to me a year after you attend that Tier 3.  Let me know how your job prospects are dipshit.

I am a 0L, but I'm going to a T2 school.   You are just so nice. I wish I could go to your school so I could be surrounded by such amazing people!
Tell me how it makes any sense to dump all the law schools outside the top 100. 

I doubt there is really much of a difference between 99 and 104.   "Sorry, you're school is ranked 104 so you'll have to shut down. Maybe we'll re-evaluate in a few years..  you should probably go bribe a few judges or something."

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2008, 12:39:30 AM »

Let's try and control ourselves, shall we?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2008, 08:54:07 AM »
You have to have a cutoff somewhere is what I'm saying.  Just like when you start law school, there will be someone who misses one more point on an exam, but ends up with a grade lower.  That's life dude.

Also, my law school is filled with plenty of great people.  Beats going somewhere where you have to struggle to find a job ;).  I assure you, that if you are at a lower T2, it is going to be much more cut-throat than at a T20.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »
I feel like I am in a unique position to put in my two cents. First, I go to a a T4 so, actually, I hear what 1L/2LMan is saying and tend to agree to an extent. In my T4, it is not the prof's who make the school bad, they are excellent. Actually, 90% of the them are ivy (all of mine so far) so they have command on the subjects they are teaching. What makes me want to leave my school (I am transferring) is the other students. There are quite a few students who should not be in law school. They simply don't get it. So how did I end up here?

My undergrad gpa wasn't great. 3.2. However that doesn't tell the whole story. I worked at least 30 hrs/week and completed in 4 years with a double major. What about my LSAT? Well, I didn't score well. (150). This is were my mistake comes in to play. My gpa would have been surmountable if I just would have actually studied for the LSAT. I didn't because I didn't want to take a year off. I just went and took the test. Furthermore, I didn't have a way of coming up with the $ to take a prep class. Most people I know who did well on the LSAT studied for years. That's the thing about the LSAT, some people are in a better position to take.

I am lucky because I am in the position to transfer. However, if I could do it all over again, I would not go to my T4 because the other students make a difference in class. I would find a way to improve my LSAT. Do I think all T4's should be shut down? No. But certainly some should and new schools should not be opening. Like someone posted, this is a big country and we need public interest attorney and other low paying attorneys. Especially since there are people I attend school with that will make good lawyers. Just not all of them.

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »
SASS,

Interesting post.  Our academic scores are almost identical and I will most likely be following in a similar path with either a T3 or T4 school.  What school are you currently in and what school are you applying to, if you don't me asking?  Thanks!