Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?  (Read 10773 times)

negativeexternality

• emory 2011 - i can has law degree?!?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jbeckett72
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2008, 11:32:13 AM »
thanks dude

i am always appalled when i read posts by people who say "all TTTs should be shut down!" etc.

that's not just bad economics.  that's crazytalk. 

as i pointed out in an earlier post, "TTT" grads do a lot of important, if low profile, legal work in this country.  look at your average county prosecutor's or public defender's office and you'll see what i mean. 

i don't think people like 2Lman really think about the implications of what they're suggesting. 
ísi me gusta!: W&L ($$$), W&M ($$), ND ($$), Emory ($$$), OSU ($$), GMU, Fordham ($), some other TTTs (no, really, i hate that term)

just friends: vandy, BC, GWU

modus pwned: Michigan, UVa

WTFMAKEADECISION!!!1!: WUSTL

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »
Yes we do.  I hate to break it to you, but most big city prosecutors went to top schools.  There is NO need for TTTs and especially TTTTs.  There just isn't. If there were only two-tiers, then everybody would end up in some legal job and you wouldn't have the struggle that goes on with some of your fellow-classmates (assuming you go to a TTT).

However, continue to argue the facts.  It is reality that many TTT grads will STRUGGLE to find ANY meaningful legal employment.

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2008, 11:53:26 AM »
Yes we do.  I hate to break it to you, but most big city prosecutors went to top schools.  There is NO need for TTTs and especially TTTTs.  There just isn't. If there were only two-tiers, then everybody would end up in some legal job and you wouldn't have the struggle that goes on with some of your fellow-classmates (assuming you go to a TTT).

However, continue to argue the facts.  It is reality that many TTT grads will STRUGGLE to find ANY meaningful legal employment.

So then do tier 2 grads not struggle to find meaningful legal employment?  I'm still waiting on some kind of rationale for where you would draw the line. 

And negativeexternality said "average county prosecutor", not "big city prosecutor".  Did most average county prosecutors go to top schools?

negativeexternality

• emory 2011 - i can has law degree?!?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jbeckett72
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2008, 12:04:31 PM »

how did you end up with such a crippling inferiority complex?  furthermore, have you ever taken an economics class in your life?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS231US232&q=university+of+dayton+law+j.d.

here are some u. dayton grads.  are they all doing meaningless legal work?  and who said anything about "big city prosecutors"?  dude, i live in ohio, and we have 88 counties, each of which has a prosecutor's office.  the vast majority of ohio county prosecutors did not go to T14s or even T1s.  a ton of them went to places like dayton, toledo, and capital, and the same goes for all the public defenders, city law directors, and small- to mid-size practices that dot my state.

these positions don't just exist in a vacuum.  they're there because millions of ohioans have wills that need to be written, divorces that need to be settled, and tons of other little mundane, non-glamorous legal services that need to be fulfilled.  

i'm not the one who is disputing the facts.  you keep setting forth this idea that if all TTTs and TTTTs were dismantled, society would be somehow better off.  you have yet to demonstrate how that is the case.

ísi me gusta!: W&L ($$$), W&M ($$), ND ($$), Emory ($$$), OSU ($$), GMU, Fordham ($), some other TTTs (no, really, i hate that term)

just friends: vandy, BC, GWU

modus pwned: Michigan, UVa

WTFMAKEADECISION!!!1!: WUSTL

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »
In todays conditions, T4 schools do a lot more bad for their graduating class and society than good.  It is a trend that all credible journalistic mediums are trying to express.  Spending 3 years and $100k has ruined a lot of lives.  I don't know if there is a practical way to shut down the lowly schools but something comparable to the fourth tier would benefit a lot of "I think I can" lawyers that end college with a 2.5/145.  Every other professional governing body ensures that the path to that profession requires quality.  The ABA does the opposite.  They say "Anyone can be a lawyer.  Lets just let them all fight for jobs later."  Reform is needed.

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2008, 12:20:44 PM »
In todays conditions, T4 schools do a lot more bad for their graduating class and society than good.  It is a trend that all credible journalistic mediums are trying to express.  Spending 3 years and $100k has ruined a lot of lives.  I don't know if there is a practical way to shut down the lowly schools but something comparable to the fourth tier would benefit a lot of "I think I can" lawyers that end college with a 2.5/145.  Every other professional governing entity ensures that the path to that profession requires quality.  The ABA does the opposite.  They say "Anyone can be a lawyer.  Lets just let them all fight for jobs later."  Reform is needed.

If the problem is that people are overspending on these schools, perhaps requiring them to keep their tuitions to a more reasonable level would be a better solution than shutting them down altogether.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2008, 12:25:08 PM »
Can you see how that could be counterproductive?  At least the $30k/year keeps a lot of people out.

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2008, 12:28:16 PM »
Can you see how that could be counterproductive?  At least the $30k/year keeps a lot of people out.

Is the problem oversupply of lawyers or the fact that there's oversupply and many of the lawyers who cannot find work are saddled with excessive debt?

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
Both... Do you read the NY Times?  Chicago Tribune?  Miami Herald?  Boston Globe?  The consensus is that these schools produce underqualified lawyers AND lawyers that cannot find jobs.  The problem is that this issue is irreversible.  You cannot tell Cooley they can no longer produce lawyers.

I have a friend at Cooley who got a 138 on his LSAT.  Would you want him reviewing your documents? 

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Both... Do you read the NY Times?  Chicago Tribune?  Miami Herald?  Boston Globe?  The consensus is that these schools produce underqualified lawyers AND lawyers that cannot find jobs.  The problem is that this issue is irreversible.  You cannot tell Cooley they can no longer produce lawyers.

I have a friend at Cooley that got a 138 on his LSAT.  Would you want him reviewing your documents? 

I see no reason why it's irreversible.  And I've seen plenty of articles discussing how most graduates don't make much money but are saddled with debt.  I haven't seen anything that talks about the lawyers these schools produce being underqualified.  Perhaps you could direct my attention that way?