Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?  (Read 10281 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »
No, obviously not cutting down to 20 law schools.  I think leaving it at a two-tiered system would work just fine.  There would be an adequate supply of attorneys and you would get rid of the garbage schools. 

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2008, 09:39:40 PM »
No, obviously not cutting down to 20 law schools.  I think leaving it at a two-tiered system would work just fine.  There would be an adequate supply of attorneys and you would get rid of the garbage schools. 

Well then what criteria would you use to limit the supply of second-tier schools?  How would you distinguish them from "garbage schools"?

And the woman in picture is not me; it's Monica Bellucci.  Sorry to disappoint.  You wouldn't have found either of us at Dayton anyway.  ;)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »
What do you mean what criteria would get you into second tier law schools?  The same criteria that gets folks there now.

This argument is going nowhere.  You are one of those folks that will always argue that their TTT education is worth while and deserved.  I'm done bickering with you.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2008, 11:54:21 PM »
What do you mean what criteria would get you into second tier law schools?  The same criteria that gets folks there now.

This argument is going nowhere.  You are one of those folks that will always argue that their TTT education is worth while and deserved.  I'm done bickering with you.

I agree with the content of most of your points but you should grow up and practice presenting yourself in a more professional manner.  You are reminding me of someone's little brother.

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2008, 12:27:23 AM »

I didn't say criteria to get into second tier schools.  I was asking what criteria you would use to distinguish between schools that were in this second tier that was acceptable to you and what you referred to as "garbage schools."  On what criteria would you base your decision to place a school into one or the other category?

And I would suggest that you be more careful with your assumptions.  But somehow I suspect you won't take me up on that one.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2008, 12:53:39 AM »
2Lman- question-
Let's say, hell froze over and you bombed the lsat- got a say, 150- and all you got accepted to was TTT and TTTT schools.  And for the sake of argument, let's say waiting a year is out of the question- or, you bombed it again.

Wouldn't you want the opportunity to prove your worth in law school and hope to transfer, at the least?  Or would you also label yourself "worthless"?  honest question.  no disrespect intended. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2008, 07:46:50 AM »
2Lman- question-
Let's say, hell froze over and you bombed the lsat- got a say, 150- and all you got accepted to was TTT and TTTT schools.  And for the sake of argument, let's say waiting a year is out of the question- or, you bombed it again.

Wouldn't you want the opportunity to prove your worth in law school and hope to transfer, at the least?  Or would you also label yourself "worthless"?  honest question.  no disrespect intended. 

I wouldn't have gone to law school.  There are plenty of careers out there and while I always wanted to be a lawyer, the reality is it just isn't worth it if you don't get into a good school.

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »
2Lman- question-

I wouldn't have gone to law school.  There are plenty of careers out there and while I always wanted to be a lawyer, the reality is it just isn't worth it if you don't get into a good school.

If this is true, your two-tier scheme breaks down, doesn't it?

You still haven't explained how you would distinguish between second tier schools whose existence you would tolerate and schools that you call "garbage".

negativeexternality

• emory 2011 - i can has law degree?!?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jbeckett72
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2008, 10:58:42 AM »
2Lman- question-

this brings up an interesting point.

it's complete folly to think that the LSAT somehow completely and objectively measures an individual's innate ability and potential to become a lawyer.  it might be a good indicator of one's ability to do certain kinds of reasoning under pressure, but even the test makers are pretty clear that it doesn't predict how well one will actually do beyond the first year of law school.

so in 2Lman's centrally planned law school scheme, we let USNews, rather than the market for legal services itself, decide how many lawyers we need, and we shut the door on thousands of potentially capable/good attorneys because they flubbed one test.

all this talk about "credentials" is fine and good, but what is the ultimate goal here--to have a supply of lawyers that meets society's needs, or to maintain the 'prestige' of going to law school and entering the profession?

i think 2Lman is primarily concerned with the latter.
ísi me gusta!: W&L ($$$), W&M ($$), ND ($$), Emory ($$$), OSU ($$), GMU, Fordham ($), some other TTTs (no, really, i hate that term)

just friends: vandy, BC, GWU

modus pwned: Michigan, UVa

WTFMAKEADECISION!!!1!: WUSTL

RockinJay

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »
negativeexternality,

That was one of the best posts I have read on here in a long time.  Well said!