Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?  (Read 10798 times)

NYC2L

• View Profile
Re: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »
Summary
UD has nice facilities and is not in the ghetto. The GHETTO refers to an area near the school where students live.

UD has dismal employment prospects except in the immediate area. For students considering the school, that means that one should only attend if they want to practice law in that area.

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »
1LMAN/2LMAN, I know you read my posts.  Did I actually come out and truly defend the school?

I believe that I agreed with all of the comments regarding the job prospects and even talked about the low average salary for graduates from UD.  The only comments that I made in favor of the school were regarding the facility and the area surrounding UD.  Do you consider my comment that its not half bad as one that vigourously defends Dayton? I doubt it.

With that said, however, I'm going to quit responding to this thread.  I doubt that you and I will be able to reach any sort of agreement regarding the medical and legal fields.  We can simply agree to disagree.  

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »
Yes, fair enough.  We can agree to disagree on the medical vs. legal community and we can agree that Dayton is a TTTT.  If you loved it so much, you wouldn't have transferred lol ;).

middleamerican

• View Profile
    • Email
facilities
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 04:53:11 PM »
Maybe whoever made the nasty comment about the facilities and the neighborhood around the law school needs to grow up.  >:(  No, It's not your gritty kind of typical campus found in an urban area.

The law school itself is very nice, very clean and NEW. Classrooms are large and comfortable and very AV/techno friendly. Keller (law school building) is very much in the mission style of design--a lot of glass and medium/dark wood. The law school is essentially self-contained. The rest of U Dayton campus is well manicured, very well maintained and very nice. Perhaps negative comments about the campus come from people who aren't used to clean college campuses and students who are smiling and polite. The area around the campus is full of restaurants, shops and pubs--again, all fairly new and clean.

Reports from friends whose kids attend (undergraduate) are always positive--nice dorms, great atmosphere,good food and a very supportive faculty/staff.

Perhaps some of the extremely negative comments I've read here about U Dayton are a result of an anti-religious bias. Remember, U Dayton is a Catholic Marianist college, so if you're not comfortable with the religious atmosphere you should not consider it. As to placement following law school--can't speak to that, but UD alumni are all over the midwest and they are very happy to assist any graduate.

UD isn't cheap, so if you're into BIG LAW, cut-throat competition and fellow students who are without scruples it's probably not the place for you. If you want something else for your life it may well be the kind of place that you'll feel is a good fit. By the way, not everyone wants to be a corporate lawyer. I know some people find that hard to believe, but it's true.

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 06:15:52 PM »
Regardless of WHY they are going to law school, someone that has been sub-average in LSAT, GPA, and everything else does not deserve to become a lawyer. 

This argument has come forth many times.  Doctors, dentists, and other professionals are limited on how many can be produced per year.  Lawyers can destroy a person's life just as these other professionals can.  That being said, why should we permitting some sub-average Joe to graduate a horrible TTT or TTTT and then go out and open up a practice?  It just isn't right.

I notice that you backed off from the bad decision claim.  That was probably a smart move. 

And are you sure you want to use the term 'deserve' here?  If some people don't deserve to become lawyers, then does that mean that there are people who do deserve to become lawyers?  If so, who are these people?  Why shouldn't the people who deserve to become lawyers simply be the people who do everything that is required to enter the profession? 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »
The ppl. who "deserve" it are the ones with excellent credentials and get into the better programs.

I still think going to a TTT or especially a TTTT is a bad decision.  Emt is the exception and he will happily admit it, why do you think he transferred out once he kicked ass at UD?

There is nothing good that will come from a UD degree and mounds of debt. 

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 07:55:50 PM »
The ppl. who "deserve" it are the ones with excellent credentials and get into the better programs.

I still think going to a TTT or especially a TTTT is a bad decision.  Emt is the exception and he will happily admit it, why do you think he transferred out once he kicked ass at UD?

There is nothing good that will come from a UD degree and mounds of debt. 

What criteria are you using to define "better programs"?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »
I sense a US News Rankings Credibility debate looming overhead. 

Whether you want to admit it or not, T14 and T20 schools have far more options than any other law school graduate on average.  That is yet another reality.

However, I sense your chip on your shoulder will lead to beating this horse until it is long past dead.

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2008, 08:30:15 PM »
I sense a US News Rankings Credibility debate looming overhead. 

Whether you want to admit it or not, T14 and T20 schools have far more options than any other law school graduate on average.  That is yet another reality.

However, I sense your chip on your shoulder will lead to beating this horse until it is long past dead.

Oh rest assured, I have no chip on my shoulder. 

And you're not suggesting that we pare the number of law schools down to 20, are you?  If not, how many would you suggest we have and how do you propose to draw that line?

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »
Oh rest assured, I have no chip on my shoulder. 

And you're not suggesting that we pare the number of law schools down to 20, are you?  If not, how many would you suggest we have and how do you propose to draw that line?

Hey.. I know you are in the middle of a huge argument but... is that you in the picture?  Because if it is I am coming to Dayton in the fall whether or not I'll have a job afterwards.  Damn you are gorgeous.  PM me if you are interested in an underrated-looking human powertool.