Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?  (Read 10611 times)

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
A recent Healthgrades study showed that patient safety incidents cost the federal Medicare program $8.8 billion and resulted in 238,337 potentially preventable deaths during 2004 through 2006.

Now, please explain to me how there are more competent doctors in the world than there are lawyers?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »
The system works?  How can you even make a claim that there are more competent doctors?  Did you compare statistics on the number of lawyers each year who are subjected to malpractice suits to the number of doctors?

I mean, seriously, you talk out of your ass more than anyone I've heard on this board.   

Dude you really are a moron.  The bar does not even closely monitor lawyers practices as much as doctors are under scrutiny.  Also, people have a helluva lot more incentive to sue a doctor. 

Not to mention the fact that if a lawyer screwed a person over, do you think they are going to think "I better go find another lawyer?"

So what TTT do you attend?  Still bitter about your dismal future?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »
AHHHHHH, I see why the bitterness.... You went to Dayton.... Then you were the exception to the rule and were top in your class, so you assume that everyone will do as well as you did.  However, judging from your posts, and the fact that you said you wish you would have stayed at Dayton, I'm guessing that top of your class at Dayton wasn't even enough to get you into a lower ranked T1.  Plus, now you are competing with higher caliber of students (somewhat) and probably still going to be struggling to get a good job.

Top of the class at a T4 is definitely better than average at a T2 or low T1.

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
Aww, no response to the study?

What T3 do I attend?  HAHA!  See, my 4.0 at Dayton my first year allowed me to move up the chain.  I wonder if I was offered a job at one of the BIGLAW firms that rejected you?  Isn't it crazy how the system works?  I couldn't get into a T1 in the first place but after only 1 year of grades and a move up the ladder, I probably received more offers than you, someone who was able to get into a T1 off the bat.  

Again with your analogies.  Seriously, can you please think before you speak.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
Aww, no response to the study?

What T3 do I attend?  HAHA!  See, my 4.0 at Dayton my first year allowed me to move up the chain.  I wonder if I was offered a job at one of the BIGLAW firms that rejected you?  Isn't it crazy how the system works?  I couldn't get into a T1 in the first place but after only 1 year of grades and a move up the ladder, I probably received more offers than you, someone who was able to get into a T1 off the bat. 

Again with your analogies.  Seriously, can you please think before you speak.

Dude, nothing personal, but I imagine that you didn't even have screening interviews at some of the firms I had offers from. Ask around the board.  I may be a prick, but I'm definitely not hurting in life lol.  I have a DC BigLaw offer lined up for the summer.

My guess is you are still at a low ranked T1 that doesn't pull nearly as much as the T25 I go to. 

It's great that you were able to transfer, however, you are the exception and not the rule as I've said repeatedly in these posts.  Also, even being NUMBER ONE in your class at Dayton, you still had no hope at a T20 school, which should tell people something out there.....

Oh, and regarding your "study." Cite your source for one, two, I have better things to do than research your study lol.  Lastly, for every 1 case of malpractice there are hundreds of patients that get the treatment they need.  This is a stupid argument and the fact that you think your side has merit doesn't do much for your credibility.

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »
No hope at a Top 20 school?  Your kidding me right?  Should I go pull out the folder of tranfer acceptances and scan some in for your viewing pleasure?  Seriously, I'm sure if you asked around here you would see that more than a handful of T4's were able to tranfer into the Top 20. 

Or, just go take a look at the transferapps group on Yahoo. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:35 PM »
So where do you go?

You are my hero lol.  I'm curious to see if you do as well your first year at a Top law school as you did at Dayton.

Either way, you remain the exception and that likely explains your chip on your shoulder.  Got something to prove there big guy?  Why don't you just pull it out and measure it lol?

I got into a top school, I have Biglaw lined up, and I'm not paying for my legal education.  I have NOTHING to gripe about right now.  I simply state my opinion on T3s and T4s.  An opinion shared by many, and with a substantive argument behind our reasoning.

Yet, here you sit, freaking out on me personally rather than addressing the issue at hand.

negativeexternality

• emory 2011 - i can has law degree?!?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jbeckett72
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 03:10:50 PM »
as someone whose undergrad is in the dayton/springfield area (wittenberg university), i feel compelled to weigh in.

UD seems to enjoy a strong reputation in the immediate area.  lots of kids from wittenberg end up going to UD, it seems, and it is pretty well regarded among the laypeople, for whatever reason.  i agree with the consensus here that it is a typical fourth-tier in pretty much all respects: it won't provide you with much opportunity to earn big bucks or to do anything outside of the dayton-columbus-cincy area (at least initially).  however, if you're interested in working for the city or state, it might be a very good choice, especially given the fact that UD gives its students the option to complete a JD in two years rather than three.

a lot of people are bashing low-ranked schools in this thread (and on this board, and really, all across the internet).  these posters completely trash schools like UD, but supposedly do so in the name of “good”; they maintain that they are just trying to help people who are seriously considering attending TTTs by warning them about their investment.  to these posters, I say this: get the eff over yourselves and stop being such condescending pricks.  to say that these schools should be closed or stripped of accreditation is just bad economics; the reason they exist is because there is a huge demand for legal services in this country, and someone needs to meet that demand.  lawyers from places like UD, coastal carolina, quimnipiac (sp?), and cooley perform a lot of important, albeit low-profile, legal work in this country.  without attorneys from these schools, who is going to write up your will?  who is going to settle claims in traffic court?  who will act as public defenders or county prosecutors?  the whole “close down TTT and below” thing just drips of condescension; don’t you think that the people who are going to these places are fully capable of making a rational decision concerning the costs and expected value of a J.D.?  from my experience, most are realistic about the opportunities they’ll have coming out of these places (ok, maybe not the people's school of law students), and aren't overestimating their chance at success any more so than you or i.    

i guess my point is this: just because you beat them on the LSAT doesn't mean you're any better at planning your life.
ˇsi me gusta!: W&L ($$$), W&M ($$), ND ($$), Emory ($$$), OSU ($$), GMU, Fordham ($), some other TTTs (no, really, i hate that term)

just friends: vandy, BC, GWU

modus pwned: Michigan, UVa

WTFMAKEADECISION!!!1!: WUSTL

emtjp1028

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2008, 03:16:05 PM »
No one is freaking out on your personally.  Some innocent person makes a thread looking for information regarding UD, minus the general T4 criticism.  And here you are doing what, criticizing T4's in general, BRAVO!

I don't get people on this board.  If you can't answer the question that the poster asks, why bother responding at all?

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »
I did answer the OP's question from what I was told by a close friend.  Then it became a "defend your TTTT" post.