Law School Discussion

Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?

1LMan

• View Profile
Re: Anybody Know Anything About U. Dayton Law School?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
Dude, it's not even "half bad."  It's FOURTH TIER.  Third tier grads struggle to find work, let alone fourth tier. 

Also, I really don't think that most grads get out WITH jobs, let alone making 50-60k. 

Actually, the 25-75% salary range is 45,000-60,000 with a median of 55,892. And 91% of graduates reported, so its safe to assume thats fairly accurate.

You do realize that the schools self-report that information based on those students that actually respond to their surveys.  How this affects the "median salary" is that a) Only students with jobs will respond and b) This includes ANY employment, not just legal employment.

Honestly, if Dayton's self-reported survey shows a median of $55k, that is really really bad.  That means there are many students making far under that who never responded to the survey. Also, like I said before, that includes ANY job.  I hate to break it to you, but I make significantly more than that now with only a Bachelors degree.

Spending $100k on law school only to make $55k is a dumb decision no matter how you cut it.

Lastly, I still stand by saying that TTTs and TTTTs should be shut down.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Don King with a Law Degree
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
You do realize that the schools self-report that information based on those students that actually respond to their surveys. 

TITCR.

Are you saying anyone who has a choice between a T4 and a T3 should always take the T3?
What about a choice between a T4 and a school ranked 100?

I personally wouldn't go to anything less than a t2 unless I had a family member's firm to walk onto.  Would you?

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 10:38:37 AM »
Why not crash the other T3/T4 threads then?

xdhbc

• Remember me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »
Dude, it's not even "half bad."  It's FOURTH TIER.  Third tier grads struggle to find work, let alone fourth tier. 

Also, I really don't think that most grads get out WITH jobs, let alone making 50-60k. 

Actually, the 25-75% salary range is 45,000-60,000 with a median of 55,892. And 91% of graduates reported, so its safe to assume thats fairly accurate.

You do realize that the schools self-report that information based on those students that actually respond to their surveys.  How this affects the "median salary" is that a) Only students with jobs will respond and b) This includes ANY employment, not just legal employment.

Honestly, if Dayton's self-reported survey shows a median of $55k, that is really really bad.  That means there are many students making far under that who never responded to the survey. Also, like I said before, that includes ANY job.  I hate to break it to you, but I make significantly more than that now with only a Bachelors degree.

Spending $100k on law school only to make $55k is a dumb decision no matter how you cut it.

Lastly, I still stand by saying that TTTs and TTTTs should be shut down.

It's only a dumb decision if you assume people are going to law school to increase their earnings potential and not, for example, to become lawyers.

1LMan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
Regardless of WHY they are going to law school, someone that has been sub-average in LSAT, GPA, and everything else does not deserve to become a lawyer. 

This argument has come forth many times.  Doctors, dentists, and other professionals are limited on how many can be produced per year.  Lawyers can destroy a person's life just as these other professionals can.  That being said, why should we permitting some sub-average Joe to graduate a horrible TTT or TTTT and then go out and open up a practice?  It just isn't right.

Prize Fight Promoter

• Don King with a Law Degree
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

My best friend is a 1L at a t4 and she NOW knows after having been around that she made a bad choice and she is miserable.  She wishes she heard voices like mine and 1LMan's prior to law school.  We don't do this to hurt feelings or feed our egos.  At least I don't.  I am writing this so it is out there that VERY rarely is a t4 worth the time and money.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »

My best friend is a 1L at a t4 and she NOW knows after having been around that she made a bad choice and she is miserable.  She wishes she heard voices like mine and 1LMan's prior to law school.  We don't do this to hurt feelings or feed our egos.  At least I don't.  I am writing this so it is out there that VERY rarely is a t4 worth the time and money.

OK, nobody's necessarily disagreeing with that. People were generally responding to the post claiming Dayton was in the "ghetto" and the facilities were horrible - both untrue. Nobody's disagreeing with the poor job prospects coming out of some schools.

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 11:36:28 AM »
How can one compare law school to dental school?  There are only 55 dental schools in this country because the vast majority of people who wish to practice in the medical field have no interest in being dentists.

Additionally, how can anyone ever compare one profession to another?  How many doctors get sued on a daily basis because they fell below the standard of care?  Are you telling me that you would put your faith in any doctor who made it through medical school?  

Seriously, what you are suggesting is that medical school admittance is so selective that those who get accepted and make it out into practice are the best qualified people, which you know is a joke.  So seriously, get over yourself and your worthless analogies here.

1LMan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »
The AAMC decides how many people get into medical school each year and how many make it through.  THEN, residency programs are extremely competitive, which assures that the best and brightest get into them.

Sure, there are always exceptions, but the system works.  There are many more competent doctors in the world than there are competent lawyers. 

Also, if you take the AVERAGE, there are going to be many more competent lawyers who came out of top law schools than TTTs or TTTTs.

Contrary to what your mommy told you, not everyone can be whatever they want to be.

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
The system works?  How can you even make a claim that there are more competent doctors?  Did you compare statistics on the number of lawyers each year who are subjected to malpractice suits to the number of doctors?

I mean, seriously, you talk out of your ass more than anyone I've heard on this board.