Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Divorce help  (Read 1486 times)

DuckHuntinLawyer

• View Profile
Re: Divorce help
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Sorry, we really can't help other than to tell you to find a lawyer. But we can tell you this, if she was the money maker or has money that means you will probably get some form of alimony or split of the assets or something. You can ask the lawyer to work for a contingency fee. Also, I agree with the previous post you can set up a monthly fee. I know teachers are sorely underpaid but I am sure you can afford some monthly fee, even if it is just until your divorce settles.

You need to answer that complaint as soon as possible, especially if you disagree with parts of it. Good luck to you.

unethical for attorneys to take contingency fees in domestic or criminal cases, so contingency fees are out of the question.  Check the legal clinics at the local law schools they may offer some assistance.

If I remember PR correctly (and I probably don't) divorce cases were an exception to no contingency fees in domestic cases. Or was that alimony cases?

Is taking a portion of the assets that he is entitled to really a contingency fee? What is it contingent upon? Him having assets? This is interesting. I'd look it up, but I got a mock trial in a couple hours.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »
divorce cases are def banned from contingent fee pricing schemes

think about it from the standpoint of policy

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 05:35:19 PM »
No contingent fees for securing a divorce or alimony/support payments. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »
divorce cases are def banned from contingent fee pricing schemes

think about it from the standpoint of policy

haha, good, im glad i was right on that one, i started to get a little scared (the PR exam is in less then two weeks  and ive been studying all along).

jd2008

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »
You can legally represent yourself. I did in my divorse. Just know that you will have to do all the leg work yourself too. A judge can deny your right to self defense in criminal matters, but many people in divorce and small claims do it themselves. Like I said I did.

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 08:56:07 PM »
Oops!
Anywho, here's another lawyers website with his rate schedule:
http://www.mymemphislawyer.com/feeschedule.html

I highly recommend an attorney.

Humane Prudence, 9th ed. (1702) by William De Britaine: He who will be his own Counsellor, shall be sure to have a fool for his client.

Justice is tangy....

rox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »
An update:
I represented myself. I received the house, most of the contents, kept my retirement, no child support payments, joint custody (3 days one week, 4 days next week) all of July, week of Christmas, week of Thanksgiving, etc....Still can't afford one but I would not want to risk it again. I basically just countered every charge and asked basically for the same things in the complaint that were asked of me. It was settled at mediation. I only went to court once for about 1 minute (other than to turn in required documents)
Wanted to thank those of you who gave me a hard time, it made me more determined that I could do it. 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
Glad things worked out for you.