Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: General deferral question  (Read 249 times)

maripdx

• View Profile
General deferral question
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
I apologize if this has already been asked, but I looked around and couldn't find it in another thread. 

Here's my situation: I have applied to two schools, was admitted to one (Univ. of Oregon) and wait-listed for the other (Lewis & Clark).  It turns out that I'm going to have to stick around in Portland for another year, so if I don't get into Lewis & Clark this year, I'm not going to go to the U of O this fall and I'll just reapply to both schools next year.  My question is, if I don't defer my admission to the U of O this year and I just reapply next year, do you think that my not having accepted admission the first time would affect my chances of being accepted next year?  I kind of wonder if they'll think, "Well it seems like she didn't really want to go here last year, so we should admit someone who really wants to be here."  Any thoughts?

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
Re: General deferral question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:20:38 PM »
Well, one of the things that law school are ranked on is the rate of students who attend after being admitted.  If they have reason to believe that you won't be attending again, then you may be less likely to be admitted.

Most law schools have a process where you actually "defer" admission that doesn't require you to reapply next year.  Usually you must put down the nonrefundable deposit, however.  Some schools will allow most students to defer, but some require that you have extenuating circumstances or a compelling reason to defer.  Check in with the admissions office about the process of deferring admission.