Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring from full time to part time program  (Read 1081 times)

• View Profile
Transferring from full time to part time program
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
I am in a high 20's ranked law school as a full time student and I was accepted to GULC as a part time transfer student.  I was wondering if it was worth it to transfer because of Georgetown's name.  Here are my options:

1) stay at my school and graduate in the normal three years and do the fall recruitment program this summer as a 2L
2) go to GULC and graduate in four years, doing the fall recruitment program next August as a 3E/2L.
3) Going to GULC, taking a summer course, doing the part time program the 2nd year, transferring to full time the 3rd year and graduating in three years (caveat - they won't let me do fall recruitment as a 2L so if I wanted to secure a summer associate position, it would encompass me sending letters to firms explaining that although I'm part time, I'm still graduating in the normal amount of time).  Has anyone had success with this??

Any suggestions on how much weight I should give to going to a better school part time or staying at a high 20's school full time?

santropez

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring from full time to part time program
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:38:23 PM »
I don't understand why people in your position transfer to a school like GULC.  Will it really help you that much?  Your school is in the top 25 or so correct?  You presumably have a pretty good rank right? Unless DC is really the market you want to work in and your current school is an undesirable market, I don't know why you would go through the trouble, not only of transferring, but dealing with the part time hassle that you're describing. 

My advice: stay at your current school (unless you really want to practice in DC).       

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:44:24 AM »
my school is in the top 25 and is probably the next best school in the DC market other than the T14 schools, which is the market I want to work in.  I just heard from some people that your degree follows you around and its a bigger deal to have a degree from a school like GULC, but I'm not really sure how much weight it carries...

uart

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:50:04 AM »
Any suggestions on how much weight I should give to going to a better school part time or staying at a high 20's school full time?

Its not worth doing that transfer just for the G-town name.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 01:57:01 AM »
my school is in the top 25 and is probably the next best school in the DC market other than the T14 schools, which is the market I want to work in.  I just heard from some people that your degree follows you around and its a bigger deal to have a degree from a school like GULC, but I'm not really sure how much weight it carries...

Well, I think you did receive good advice that your school does follow you around for your entire career.  (Much more than a lot of people on here think).  However, I am assuming that you go to George Washington which is also a very highly regarded school.  For the hassle that you would have to go through it just wouldn't be worth it.  I think you are better off just staying where you are.
Boalt Hall '10

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »
If you want layman's prestige ... when I was looking at GW, none of my relatives had even heard of it. :(  But then again, they aren't hiring partners at major law firms either.

If you were choosing a year ago, I'd say Georgetown.  However, GW has high enough cache within the legal world that it's just not worth the transfer trouble.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:40 PM »
You're right about the school being GW, guess that part was pretty obvious.

GoGoPogo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 01:45:04 PM »
GW to GULC is a retarded move. Especially FT to PT.

You will have the same options if you had numbers good enough to be accepted to GULC.