Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Economy has me scerred, comment on my situation  (Read 2209 times)

captainsalad

• View Profile
    • Email
Economy has me scerred, comment on my situation
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
At a T18. About .15 above median. Working for USAO this summer. Assuming I do so-so on my spring 1L finals (fall to about median) how screwed will I be? I realize I can kiss any market job good-bye. But how about just landing...a job? When should I start my mass-mail? August I assume? Any other tips?

p.s. I realize I should just study hard and up my GPA. I like to plan for worst case scenarios. Puts my mind at ease during finals.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Economy has me scerred, comment on my situation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »
Who says T18 lol?

captainsalad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:10:34 AM »
Vandy, USC, UT, UCLA students.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »
Take a week this summer in early August to travel to the geographic market where you want to work.  Mass-mail firms in July saying "Here is my cover letter, I will be in the area August 9-14, I want to schedule an interview", and be sure to follow up.  This will set you apart, show you are serious about the geographic area, allow you to interview early, and let you bypass on-campus interviewing and go straight to callback for some firms.  They're more likely to bring you in because there's no hotel, airfare, etc.  Do mock interviews with the career services office, ask them to be ruthless on your feedback, and ask them to try a few different styles of interviewing.   

The more the GPA drops, the more you widen your net.

Best-Legal-Aid.com

• Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice
    • View Profile
    • Best-Legal-Aid.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 10:23:36 AM »
Don't be discouraged.  You have plenty of time to improve your resume and GPA.  Think about taking a summer class.  They are generally easier than during the year, and it's an easy way to improve your GPA.  Also, consider applying for an internship during Fall of your 2L year, this will be on your resume when you apply for OCI and will give you a leg up over other students.
Check out www.Best-Legal-Aid.com for free advice on passing law school and the bar exam!