Law School Discussion

Best Supplement for Con Law

USC313

• View Profile
Best Supplement for Con Law
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »
Can anyone recommend a concise supplement for Con Law? I'm looking for something that clearly lays out the various tests for due process, equal protection, and commerce clause jurisprudence and possibly provides some factual scenarios that implicate these tests. However, I don't want something thats way too long (i.e. the E&E).

1LMan

• View Profile
Re: Best Supplement for Con Law
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:34:31 PM »
There is no concise supplement.  Chemeransky's guide is by far the best, AND the longest.  However, it covers both con law I and II.

If you are trying to learn con law a few weeks before an exam..... Well, it's not going to happen.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:40:04 PM »
I agree that there's nothing concise, especially in the area of Con Law.

I haven't looked at the Con Law version, but Blond's Guides tend to be some of the more concise while still being useful. Another thing I'd suggest is to try to find someone's bar ourline. That'll be a briefer version of the big issues.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »
If you are trying to learn con law a few weeks before an exam..... Well, it's not going to happen

Why not? You can defintly learn conlaw I (at least enough to make a median-ish grade) in 40 hours of studying or so. It has the least material of any class I have taken in law school so far. My ouline was 1/2 the length of all my other subjects and it was my best grade.

And yes Chemerinsky is the way to go. Just skip the conlaw II chapters.

Just remember... It all comes back to the commerce clause

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 11:44:18 PM »
haha . . the best supplement I know of is Chemerinsky . . . that or possibly my outline.  ;)

jsb221

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:02 PM »
I agree that Chemerinsky's hornbook is the best way to go. There's no way to read it all if you're completely lost, at least not this late, but if you're looking for clarification on some issues, it's very helpful.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »
Chemerinsky.

Budlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:26:49 PM »
The Constitution.  ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 12:00:21 AM »
The Constitution.  ;)

One would think so.  My professor doesn't seem to think that it is very important though.  Ahh the wonders of Communist Law that I get to sit through.

rhombot

• hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:12 PM »
the constitution is a *terrible* guide to con law. it doesn't even mention key concepts like level of scrutiny. you're better off reading the canadian constitution.