Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you feel you learned this year?  (Read 1615 times)

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
What do you feel you learned this year?
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:32:28 AM »
Aside from substantive law and rules etc.  What did you learn about yourself, your school, classmates etc?

longshanks

• View Profile
Re: What do you feel you learned this year?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »
Aside from substantive law and rules etc.  What did you learn about yourself, your school, classmates etc?

That it was the dumbest f-ing thing I ever did. 

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 04:45:41 AM »
I used to love recreational reading/writing.  Not so much, anymore.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »
I learned that im not even a fraction of smart as i thought i was.  also, creativity counts for nothing in law school, but according to the case books, it counts for everything. 

Also, most law students are feminine hygiene product bags big time. 

everything i need to know i learned in law school is how i feel. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »
creativity counts for nothing in law school, but according to the case books, it counts for everything. 

I think I learned that too.  On the one hand, the professors kept praising the creative ways the cases and judges and lawyers used and stretched the law, but when we tried to stretch things to fit... pff. nope.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
I learned law school is really easy...it was pretty surprising after all the hype and the extreme difficulty of the LSAT. It is almost like high school all over again. I still like reading for enjoyment, it is straightforward and the issues aren't buried under mounds of meaningless references and side stories.

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
What I learned the last three years...
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:12 PM »
I'll expand on this topic by stating what I've learned the last three years at two schools:

1. I wasn't surprised to learn that a good chunk of my fellow classmates are arrogant. Many people haven't discovered that there's a fine line between projecting confidence and coming off as an arrogant feminine hygiene product. But what I was surprised to learn is that a good number of them lack social skills and common sense. It is the minority of law students that possess the reasonable intelligence, humility (without sacrificing confidence), and interpersonal skills necessary to thrive in this profession. IMO, the true "elite student" is the one possessing all three of these traits...not the guy/gal ranked #1 who never left the library or the guy/gal who was editor of the law review who talks above people and is unbearable to drink a beer with.

2. With the exception of law review and moot court, most student groups at my school were pointless. I mean, is what you're doing that important if the only reason people attend your meetings are for the free Papa John's pizzas or Subway sandwiches? Unless you've done something spectacular within your organization (founded a student group, raised money for charities, etc), at the very most it seems like the time you spent involved in these clubs gives you two minutes worth of "BS" time during an interview. I don't think most employers care about why you joined "Phi Delta Phi" or how much involvement you had with the Barrister's Ball decorating committee.

If you have a true interest in these organizations/activities, then go for it...but don't just do things because you think they'll look great on a resume. If you have an extra 15-20 hours a week to burn, you're far better off doing part-time paid/volunteer work for a firm/solo practitioner/govt agency in the area than throwing mixers in the law school lobby.

3. At the very most, 5 semesters of law school is all that anyone needs before they're ready to take the bar and enter the workforce. In reality, 4 semesters is probably enough, but that 5th semester allows you to take a couple of extra bar tested courses. The 6th semester is nothing more than a way for schools to take more money out of your pocket. Can anyone tell I've developed full blown senioritis yet?

4. As a 1L, 30 minutes of class time was often necessary to cover certain cases. As a 3L, you're left wondering why some cases take the same amount of time to cover when they could be adequately explained in 5 min or less. Although on the bright side, if you've read the material and it's straightforward, many professors seem to care less about your  attendance in class when you're a 3L...so skip away

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 08:40:25 PM »
5 semesters would be a nice compromise..  never happen tho

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »
That all the hours we spend reading cases is pointless.  All I should've been doing is reading for the principles of law and ignoring who did what and what the court decided. 

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:42:26 AM »
I learned law school is really easy...it was pretty surprising after all the hype and the extreme difficulty of the LSAT. It is almost like high school all over again. I still like reading for enjoyment, it is straightforward and the issues aren't buried under mounds of meaningless references and side stories.

I don't think law school is all that easy.  The concepts are not that hard to learn, but developing a nuanced understanding is time consuming and difficult.  Think of it like a sport like golf, while you do not need a lot of athletic ability to play and most people if they practice enough can reach a certain level, its very hard to become very good.  I think law is a little like that, while its not that hard with studying to learn the basic concepts, developing a nuanced understanding takes both some ability and hard work. 
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School