Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why trash T3 and T4 schools?  (Read 8355 times)

spacemule

• View Profile
Re: Why trash T3 and T4 schools?
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »
I guess it depends on your definition of "social asset" and "professionalism."  I've got to disagree with you on this one.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2008, 06:48:27 PM »

I meant a social asset in a professional office; you just have to pass the "lunch test."  Are you someone that associates, partners, and clients can enjoy going to lunch with?  (That's why callbacks always have a meal.)  It's not about winning Miss Popular; you just have to be pleasant to talk to, interesting, and your spouses need to get along at cocktails.

The other social skills I included are "the ability to quickly read people, identify their needs, cultivate relationships and sell." 

It really only matters what your clients, bosses, judges, and (on very rare occasions) a jury think about you.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2008, 06:54:16 PM »
"That's why callbacks always have a meal."

only morning callbacks have meals, not afternoon ones. 

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
Thats why you always ask for afternoon callbacks. It's conducted by 1st year associates who cannot help you but can only hurt you.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »
Thats why you always ask for afternoon callbacks. It's conducted by 1st year associates who cannot help you but can only hurt you.

hahah, thats the approach i took when i did it.  Free food is great, but I sure as hell didnt want to extend the interview any further.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2008, 08:04:21 PM »
My afternoon callbacks either started with lunch or ended with dinner.  I also had full day callbacks.  Usually the meal was with 2-3 associates and a partner. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2008, 08:25:29 PM »
My afternoon callbacks either started with lunch or ended with dinner.  I also had full day callbacks.  Usually the meal was with 2-3 associates and a partner. 

maybe they run things different for 1Ls, they dont do that in DC for 2Ls anyway.  I got one meal out of OCI and it was because the firm didnt do afternoon callbacks.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »
Maybe I was just so pleasant that they wanted me around longer. :)