Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why trash T3 and T4 schools?  (Read 8063 times)

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why trash T3 and T4 schools?
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2008, 11:01:26 AM »
What honestly makes you think that as soon as you have a JD you can hold your own against anybody? The fact that you think what you learn in law school is the RAP kind of shows how inadequate your education is. How much preclusion did you learn? Choice of law? pre-emption?

I just saw that I didn't support what I meant. When I said that, I was referring to the fact that I will have a JD and upon bar passage will be able to practice law. Of course I won't have the experience necessary. But that wasn't my point, I was attempting to make a statement that it will be my personal ability and not my schooling that will make my career.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »
but come on, you don't think that the people who you work with/for matter at any point? Not who your professors are, not who your bosses are, not who your co-workers are?

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2008, 11:25:34 AM »
but come on, you don't think that the people who you work with/for matter at any point? Not who your professors are, not who your bosses are, not who your co-workers are?

I think it will matter to a point but only as to the experience factor. I worked for 5 Judges the past year. It was a paying job so I did A LOT of work for them. I would also talk to them personally. One was a grad from University of Illinois, another was a grad of University of Chicago, and one was from my school. I learned a great deal from all of them.

Like I said, going to a higher tiered school does not mean that a graduate has it made and that everyting will be handed to them on a silver platter. .

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2008, 12:36:32 PM »
Dude what the f**ck is the matter with you Peaches?
Yeah, knocking him is sort of low-hanging fruit.  Sorry that bad things happened to him this year; that sucks.  Sorry if I come off as a huge ass.  He still doesn't know what the hell he's talking about though.

And, Hugh Jass, we spent about 10 minutes going over RAP and res ipsa.  The curriculum, philosophy, and style of teaching are completely different at the T14.  We all learn a few basic things and take some similar courses in the first year, but after that it's a different ballgame.

mcleod13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »
Dude what the f**ck is the matter with you Peaches?
Yeah, knocking him is sort of low-hanging fruit.  Sorry that bad things happened to him this year; that sucks.  Sorry if I come off as a huge ass.  He still doesn't know what the hell he's talking about though.

And, Hugh Jass, we spent about 10 minutes going over RAP and res ipsa.  The curriculum, philosophy, and style of teaching are completely different at the T14.  We all learn a few basic things and take some similar courses in the first year, but after that it's a different ballgame.

That was my point exactly. We did not spend alot of time on it either there are only but a few ways to teach the same material. Of course there are going to be different methods, however, the law is the law. How one lawyer argues is dependent on that lawyers abilities and preferences. You have absolutley no idea of who teaches here. We have professors from Harvard, GW, GTown, and other top schools. Why is it that you claim that grads of top schools are trained better but yet you fail to think that these same grads can teach students at lower tiered schools. In fact we were told that it wouldn't be tested, but it was used as history. But the fact that you and I disagree is no reason to say I don't know what the hell I am talking about. It is a difference in opinion. You don't attend my school and I don't attend yours.

spacemule

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »
There are some interesting psychological phenomena going on here.

First of all, to all of those in prestigious schools with prestigious job outlooks--congratulations.  You've earned a well deserved distinction.  What I say is not to be taken as a detraction from those achievements in any way. 

I would like to pose a question to everyone here, but I first should lay out where I'm coming from.  I'm a content 1L in a T3 school.  I was offered nearly a full tuition scholarship to attend here.  I have no plans nor desire to work in a prestigious firm.  I love the faculty here and am immensely enjoying the experience.  Now, here's my question.  Of what benefit would going to a prestigious school be to someone in my position, given my circumstances?  Is it worthwhile for me to go into much greater debt for something I have no desire to use? 

In other words, I am contemplating working in some sort of public service sector.  Is this not a risk/benefit analysis scenario similar to the Learned Hand formula? 

Once again, for all of you in prestigious schools, I applaud your academia and your drive.  I must say, however, that I'm at a loss for the perceived need to diminish my standing and career choices. 

I read one such example today in another thread where the poster was advocating the banishment of everyone with low LSAT scores.  Does this not hamper the choice we all have to choose who we have as representation and the amount of money we wish to pay for such? 

Ah well, just some ramblings of a content, well adjusted law student.  I'll retire for the evening, as I really need to be briefing tomorrow's cases.  ;-)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2008, 05:01:43 PM »
I would say that considering that most of the top schools offer much better public interest placements and loan forgiveness programs, you probably would be a lot better off there without the scholarship.

longshanks

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2008, 05:02:24 PM »
I just went on to JDUNDERGROUND.COM (another law school discussion website, similar to this site).  I read a few posts, and had enough.  There were so many posts, particularly, trashing T3 and T4 law schools (i.e., for the New York area, majority of the posts were "Touro is *&^%," "Hofstra is *&^%," etc.).

What possesses people to post such things?  I see posts such like that on this board as well (i.e., "Cooley's the worst school," etc.)

Is the only reason to go to law school to work at a big, fancy law firm?  Does no one take into account that a person might go to a T3 or T4 because he or she received a scholarship?  Or that a person doesn't want to work at a big firm (and not be miserable)?  Or a person wants to work for themselves?  What if someone wants to work in the public sector?

I apologize for this little rant, but I had to address the issue.  I know it's the internet, and people naturally express beliefs that they would not otherwise express in person, but still.  Too many pathetic elitists! 

And to think that these people, either pre-law or law students, will one day represent the interests of future clients, corporations, or a state, is very disturbing.

Oh well.

Simple.  Because people want to feel better about themselves.  Why even ask? 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2008, 05:17:45 PM »
I would say that considering that most of the top schools offer much better public interest placements and loan forgiveness programs, you probably would be a lot better off there without the scholarship.

agreed, there is a lot more job flexibility from the t14, t20, etc. 

However, if I were in the position where I really wanted to do public interest, I would have been tempted to take a full scholarship to a tier 2 instead of going where I chose to attend.  However, even that would have been an unwise decision possibly.  Granted, you will find a job after graduation and make money, but you arent necessarily going to get into the public interest area that you want.  It is amazing how many t14 kids want to do public interest and make the world a better place.  I am not knocking your decision spacemule, but do not know if I would have made the same.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »
That is wonderful that you are going for cheap to a T3 school if that's what you want.   

I would think that the only real "costs" of a T14 are full price at something like $150,000-200,000 unless you've got something else to add the scale.  Benefits are the psychological benefit of being elite and being recognized as elite, distinguished faculty, quality of the students, the "brand name" of the degree and associated benefits, national mobility, easier ability to clerk, easier entry into academia, "first shot" at premium public interest and government jobs, alumni network, institutional resources, a personal network of the future leading class, academic experience, additional courses, fancy adjuncts, free ITunes cards & cocktails, being recruited instead of begging, well-funded debt repayment programs for those going in to public interest/government, $20k-30k per summer, and a $145,000-160,000/starting job that's yours to lose.

Weight factors accordingly, and the analysis is up to you.  Are you debating a transfer or just a "for the heck of it" proposition?

(Also, cost-benefit analysis exists separately from the Learned Hand negligence formula.)