Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Journal  (Read 560 times)

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Journal
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »
What do you guys think about joining a secondary journal as a 3L?  What will employers think about that?  Will it help/look good for fall OCI. Thanks in advance

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
Re: Journal
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 02:46:09 PM »
It is something for your resume that will look better than people who never joined, but not as good as people who joined 2L.
Some employers might see it as being a little odd, but it shouldn't hurt you over all.

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »
I wouldn't even put the dates that I joined the journal on the resume. Only mention it if the employer asks. The main advantage of joining a journal as a 2L is that it allows you to have that on your resume when you're doing 2L OCI. Other than that, its really not going to matter when you joined it.

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
Journals are good for academia I suppose, but moreso during 1L/2L.

If you're considering a journal as a 3L and wondering about OCI you have poor grades and don't go to a top school, so academia is out anyways.

Skip it, start checking craigslist for legal work.

TDJD84

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 04:15:48 PM »
actually i have pretty good grades (top 13% at a t2) and am working at a large firm this summer... I wanted to get on the journal so I could be more competitive for a d.c clerkship (anywhere) or a more prestigious firm...

Thanks for the postings.. minus the wise ass comment