Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any 3T graduates want to lend advice on financial ramifications of attending 3T  (Read 5397 times)

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Here's the thing with T3 students/grads (though I don't think many grads are here).  You will only hear from those that made something of themselves, because lets face it, failures aren't about to post about it on the web.

Also, honestly, if your decision to not go to law school has come about so easily and based on this board, then you shouldn't be going in the first place.  Far too many people go to law school on a whim and then hate it later in life.  If you aren't 100% certain you want to practice law, then you are better off not going, especially if you are considering taking on mounds of debt for unlikely career benefits at a T3.

brasky

• View Profile
    • Save your soul!  Please donate to the Church of Leeology
    • Email
About 5 seconds after I posted that comment about my decision making process I felt someone would have something to say about it.  I actually did think it would be along the lines of, "If this is your logic, you shouldn't go to law school".  I was correct.   

Anyway... in addition to this board... I have researched on google to the point that I can't think of any new ways to search as I am always running across the same links.  Which is why I posed this question here... I thought it was possible others on this board discovered other sources of information.  For the past week this question has consumed my life... my classes for the semester have gone on the back burner as my research continues.   

And the links in google aren't very encouraging either.  Perhaps it is because I am looking for bad news. 

My brother (a successful attorney from a low T2) thinks I should attend as he feels my science background will give me an edge.  However, that too, is contradicted on this board... but not as much around the web.  Perhaps it was different when he graduated (7 years ago) but apparently every science major in his class found jobs immediately. 

Anyway...
Save your soul!  The afterlife operates because of donations!  Please donate to the Church of Leeology.
http://supermanversusjesus.blogspot.com

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Get into a good school, then it is worth your time......  However, regardless, it comes down to these questions: What do you want to do with your life?  Do you want to practice law?  Will you be alright with $75k of debt and a $50k/year job?

lawless11

• View Profile
    • Email
Get into a good school, then it is worth your time......  However, regardless, it comes down to these questions: What do you want to do with your life?  Do you want to practice law?  Will you be alright with $75k of debt and a $50k/year job?

2LMan - When you reference a 50K/yr job, you realize that a T3 grad is not doomed to make only 50K for the rest of their life don't you?

charlieparker

• View Profile
2008 T3 grad, state school, Top 10% (just inside).  No job lined up.  Paid for school with cashola, had worked for 5yrs prior to LS, so I owe nothing.  Had some OCI stuff, one offer but $110k + 2150 billables in ID was not for me.  Since I am not strapped I turned it down.  Problem is, there is nothing in between.  Either take that job and work every Sat. and Sun (their words not mine), or take some public job for $40k.  I am talking with my pre-LS employer, I was making $95k when I left at 50hrs per week.  I didn't mind the work, just thought I could do something more stimulating.  Nope, I was wrong.  As for information you could use:  only the Top 5% got decent jobs (one that I would have liked).  Some other IP and Tax  people did ok too.  But Top 10-25% are graduating unemployed.  It is what it is.  I guess the students that took out big loans have screwed the pooch!

Peaches

• View Profile
My brother (a successful attorney from a low T2) thinks I should attend as he feels my science background will give me an edge.

Depends on the science background.  Master's or PhD?

brasky

• View Profile
    • Save your soul!  Please donate to the Church of Leeology
    • Email
Well I have a BS Biomedical Science... not engineering.  I have read several articles concerning MS and PhD... the consensus seemed to be it didn't appear to help tremendously (these were all non-engineering people).  Though some jobs obviously are out of reach... they seemed to suggest it is better off not getting MS/PhD, and just attending law school out of undergrad. 

Who knows...

I keep hoping my brother is right... but perhaps it was a different time for IP law... a day when non engineering BS were hired. 

I have been cheap as hell all of my life and apparently my cheap anti-consumer attitude appears to have destroyed my law future... 

Hell, the ABA should force all these craptastic schools to close if they are indeed as worthless as portrayed on these boards. 

Well... perhaps I would've hated law immensely.  In addition, I'm probably too sensitive to be a very good attorney.         

Thanks for your opinions... sorry I've been so whiny.  As Cash states, "The world is rough.  If your gonna make it you gotta be tough."   
Save your soul!  The afterlife operates because of donations!  Please donate to the Church of Leeology.
http://supermanversusjesus.blogspot.com

Peaches

• View Profile
I was initially interested in IP in a general "that may be cool" sense, but when I went to the IP society meetings and spoke with recruiters it was clear that bare minimum you have to be patent bar eligible with science background and the trend is moving towards students with advanced degrees or significant work experience in the field.

Financially, you'd probably be better off not getting MS/PhD and going straight to law school, but gearing your interests to a few practice areas rather than just banking on IP. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Non-engineering isn't going to look all that spectacular to IP firms.  However, at the end of the day, it still comes down to school rank.  It may be stupid, and you may not agree with it, but big firms go to the big schools.  It's just how it is.

wiseowl

• View Profile
i can't say much that hasn't already been said here - your credentials are good enough for better schools than a T3.

i understand you felt offended with 2LMan's analysis, but it's because we've heard it all before from so many before you.  check out jdunderground.com if you want a real jolt. 

one example: there is this girl i went to undergrad with who was really stuck up and thought incredibly highly of herself.  she went to the local T4 and acted like it was a triumph (there is a T14 and two other T1s within 100 miles).  well, she graduated and the best she's able to do now is public defense in a rural county for less than 40K.  and she was top 25%.  she whines all the time about how "all the law firms have got such big prestige egos now", but sorry - in a toilet economy where is a firm going to turn - the T1s or the T4s?  what will look better to the client?

regarding your science background, it may help and it may not.  IP people will do better out of a T3 than those who aren't.  i'll warn you though that i am a bioengineering undergrad who will have a PhD in biology by the time i hit law school - and even i'm not comfy about my chances.  this is from discussions with hiring partners.  you and i aren't the first people to have chosen this career path, i'm afraid, and we won't be the last either.  by the time we graduate from law school a BS in bio just may not get you very far.

how hard did you study for the LSAT?  if you could study hard for a year and break 170 the world will be your oyster.  try to resist being impatient - if i could quit the PhD today and go to school I would, but I know that I'll need it.  it's hard.  set a firm goal and work towards it.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/wiseowl
Pending: Columbia, Emory, UNC
In: UVA, Duke, GULC, Vandy, UGA ($), WFU, GW, George Mason
Neither In nor Out:
Out: