Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC Transfer Admit with Questions  (Read 1906 times)

jumpypuppy

• View Profile
GULC Transfer Admit with Questions
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »
Hi All,

I was just accepted to GULC as a full-time transfer. I am at school in the high 20s and doing pretty well there.  Of course, I have no idea what my chances are for law review and I don't know my second semester grades.  What is the conventional wisdom on transferring to GULC?  Worth it?  I have this idea that it is overrated despite knowing nothing else really, though they do have a few professors I would be very, very excited to take classes with.  I pay full price at my school now and feel a bit resentful about that (though, of course, I would pay full price at GULC).  Also, anyone know anything about getting on a journal as a transfer?  I know law review is close to impossible but what about other journals?

Also, if I am thinking of applying to others in the top 14, what are the grade cuts offs for those places?

Alright, thanks so much.  Any input would be appreciated.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GULC Transfer Admit with Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:47:42 AM »
I'm admitted as a transfer to GULC as well from a T4. My research has shown that there is a write-on competition for the journals that starts in early June. You pay $40 for a packet and have 7 days to write a case comment. That comment is reviewed by all the journals you wish to join (you indicate a list of preferences). I imagine competition is pretty fierce, but I'm going to give it a shot. For me, there is no question as to whether I'm going to accept. Going from a Tier 4 to a T14 is unthinkable to pass up. In your situation, I think it would be a lot harder decision to make. Good luck, maybe we'll be classmates in the fall!

OldCraig

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »
I'd smear a legal sized piece of papyrus w/ a turd and forward it to the editorial board w/ a picture of Frank Thomas in the heading

This tactic was used by the late, great Jerry West in an amicus brief, to which Justice Scalia responded violently w/ some feces of his own

it's up to you, but to stand out in the write on competition, you'll need at least three things:
1) a red wheel barrow
2) some grape nuts
3) a partially filled fish tank w/ a yam floatin' around in it

Just my two cents

hoflawpt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 12:09:11 AM »
I'll take this one.

First of all congrats on the acceptance, I know I was thrilled when mine came in the mail. I transferred to GULC last year from PT to PT. I didn't decide to write on because 1) I didn't think I would get on, and 2) I planned on working during the day. However, everyone I know who decided to write onto a journal got one, no joke. Great school, not regretting the decision one bit. The professors, facilities and internship opportunities in DC almost justify the price tag (that keeps going up). Good luck.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 01:56:20 AM »
One nice thing about the Georgetown law journal is 1/2 of the spots are pure write on. So everyone has a chance (at least in theory).

The above post is right, the only people who don't make it onto at least one journal are mostly those who really half assed the competition (and will admit to as much).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

jumpypuppy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:52 PM »
Thanks to you both for the insight.  Do you have any other advice for someone thinking of transferring to GULC?  Is there much of a transfer community or will I mostly be on my own if I decide to go ahead with it?  I know that shouldn't be too big of a factor but it does seem like something to consider as I am pretty settled in school now (finally).  Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did you find early interview week as a transfer?  Have you had trouble getting recommendations from GTown professors and making real connections with them?  I just feel a bit nervous about what it means to be totally starting over as a 2L.

Really, truly, any and all advice would be appreciated.  And it is great news about the journals.  Also, while I am at it, do you know when the transfer write-on competition is?

Thanks again.

POTUS20

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 10:12:33 AM »

Really, truly, any and all advice would be appreciated.  And it is great news about the journals.  Also, while I am at it, do you know when the transfer write-on competition is?

Thanks again.

I'm a current 1L (almost 2L) at GULC.  I don't know if the transfer process is different or not.  But the write-on process for us starts on May 16. 

hoflawpt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
The transfer community is actually great here. A lot of the transfers do hang out together and Georgetown does a pretty good job of facilitating that through orientation. So far I have had 2 classes made up entirely of transfer students (requirements from 1L year that other schools did not offer)so it has worked out pretty well in that respect.

In terms of OCI, I would say transfers do better than most non-transfers, and they are pretty bitter about that. The majority of my friends cleaned up at OCI with top firms. You have a great GPA plus the Georgetown degree.

You will get an email about the writing competition, you have 1 week to complete the write on and they let you chose any date to start from sometime in June? through late July to complete it.

Any more questions feel free to ask, at this point I just have no motivation to study for finals.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »
I'm getting pretty nervous about OCI. Coming from a T4 where I would have had very few opportunities to Georgetown is a huge step. Perhaps you could explain the OCI process a little, as far as bidding, whether you were asked why you transferred, etc? Any feeling for whether it is "easier" to get on with NYC/DC firms than it is firms in other regions, such as Chicago? How are the Career Services people? My CSO advisor is the Director of Career services (she emailed me). The people at my current school are absolutely worthless. Really, any info you can offer re: OCI would be much appreciated (and nerve calming).