Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GULC Acceptances and Admitted Students Site  (Read 1295 times)

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
GULC Acceptances and Admitted Students Site
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
Has anyone who has been accepted been able to access the Admitted Students Website? Anyone have any good links regarding places to live, etc. in DC?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GULC Acceptances and Admitted Students Site
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »
the best neighborhoods in DC to live in are Foggy Bottom, Dupont, and Adams Morgan.  The universal consensus is to avoid NE, SW, SE if possible.  Everyone says U Street is up and coming, but I have had a few friends get mugged over there.  G-town itself is beautiful, but as you know the law school isnt in the neighborhood and the neighborhood requires a longer walk to the metro. 

the law school is on the redline which makes dupont ideal if you want it to be easily accessible.  Dupont is a younger neighborhood (young professionals, students, etc).  Great restaurants, decent bars, etc.  There is a little bit of a gay element to it, but not overwhelmingly so.  Im just throwing that in if you have any hangups in that area.  If you live in the northern part of foggy bottom you are closer to the farruget west (maybe north) whatever thats on the redline too. 

These three neighborhoods are probably the best bet in the city.  You can also look into silver spring.  Its cheap and metro accessible.   

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:14:24 PM »
Let me throw out a couple of places we've looked at, maybe you can chime in.

Pentagon City/Crystal City
Columbia Heights

We're (my wife and I) not planning to buy a car, so somewhere close to a grocery store is ideal, as where as at least SOME green space for the dog. I'll look into Foggy Bottom some more. I am a bit concerned about safety for my wife, so anyone who can speak to the safety of certain areas, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'm also trying to keep the rent about $1500ish for a 1br.

MDS26

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »
Capitol Hill / Eastern Market is not bad and close to Gtown.  I live here and have been pleased this year.  Much more of a residential feel than an urban.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:25:02 PM »
Okay.. hmm..

Foggy bottom has a park near by (I live in west end which is sometimes called foggy bottom and closer to the metro).  I think foggy bottom you are looking at close to 1600-1700 for a one bedroom.  My numbers may be off as its been forever since I have looked (price shop on craigslist a little, just dont look at sublets to get an idea because those are often a little steeper priced since interns have no other choice). 

I love the pentagon city and crystal city neighborhoods.  They are significantly cheaper.  The only concern with them is the metro situation.  I believe they are both neither of them are red which means youd have to change at metro center every day.  They are both far enough out of the city that you save some money though on rent and still get decent places.  A few of my friends live in those areas.

Foggy bottom and dupont are both very safe areas.  I have a friend with a huge dog that lives in dupont and it seems to be very conducive.  She was limited a little in the search because of the animal.

Im not search on columbia heights at all.  I know its by U street which isnt the best area at all.

Oh, and I just looked at a map of the metro (im only really familiar with foggy bottom and the surrounding neighborhoods).  It looks like the yellow line (the one from pentagon/crystal city to metro center) may be close enough where you can just take it to metro center and walk to school.  Couldnt be more then 15 minutes by my calculations which expands your selection a little bit. 

Also, I mentioned silver spring, its not the most convenient if you dont have a car though, so maybe rule that out.  VA seems more conducive to walking then maryland.

Foggy bottom has a trader joes and a safeway for grocery shopping.  Its convenient with dupont and the west end.  VA has to have something in walking distance.   

mary03

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
has anyone been able to log onto the admitted students site?

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:21 PM »
Acceptance letter dated the 7th, still can't access it.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 12:03:10 AM »
I can access it.
Boalt Hall '10

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
I just got access.

worrfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:25:40 AM »
Let me throw out a couple of places we've looked at, maybe you can chime in.

Pentagon City/Crystal City
Columbia Heights

We're (my wife and I) not planning to buy a car, so somewhere close to a grocery store is ideal, as where as at least SOME green space for the dog. I'll look into Foggy Bottom some more. I am a bit concerned about safety for my wife, so anyone who can speak to the safety of certain areas, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'm also trying to keep the rent about $1500ish for a 1br.

Look into Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, and Van Ness also.  They're all along the red line and are very safe.  I pay $1100 for my share of a 2 bedroom and i think the 1 bedrooms in my building are in your price range.