Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Safe to Put FedSoc on Resume?  (Read 706 times)

• View Profile
    • Email
Safe to Put FedSoc on Resume?
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:54:24 PM »
A judge I am taking this semster referred [unprompted] to FedSoc as "that Nazi organziation"

Then again, he also said that he can usually tell "within 30 seconds if the f*cker is guilty" when he walks into the courtroom when asked about a defendant's guilt or innocence by a student.

Just wondering if this is what people say in public what do they think/do in private?

I realize extrapolating from what one judge/prof (who has made other sketchy comments) said probably doesn't hold true generally

Thinking specifically of resume for firm but would also wonder if it might make a difference for low-level (state district/circuit) judges/clerkships

Would the converse of this answer hold true for ACS?

NYC2L

• View Profile
Re: Safe to Put FedSoc on Resume?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »
I would advise against it. I don't put it on my resume because many people have strong negative feelings toward the organization (usually ignorantly) and it is not worth my time to explain to everyone who sees my resume that "no, I am not an extremist right-wing republican, no, I don't hate women and people of color," etc. Unfortunately, disinformation about fed soc is pervasive in law schools and the legal community in general.

An alternative reason not to put it on your resume, is that it does not really add anything to your credentials. It merely makes a political statement. Generally, your resume should reflect what you have achieved and joining an organization is not really an achievement.

Finally, ACS probably would not receive the same response. One, because it is of a lower profile than fed soc and two, to state the obvious, liberal things are far more acceptable in law schools than supposedly conservative things (although fed soc is not necessarily conservative--once again, though, I hate explaining this to people).

Were you at the student convention by any chance?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »
I was considering joining both the federalist society and the ACS and making a point to put both on my resume. However, after asking around it appeared most practitioners had not heard of the ACS.  :-\

Generally speaking, I don't think it's worth it to put something polarizing on your resume unless:
1. You are specifically trying to get a job with a federlist society type (conservative judge, etc.)
Or
2. You did something really impressive
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
I wouldn't worry about putting it on, in general. If someone's going to have that sort of reaction to the organization, is that really where you want to work?

However, I do agree with the others that merely being a member doesn't necessarily merit resume space. Did you do anything other than join? Serve as officer? Manage any events? If this is the case, then you have something to talk about. Just joining is a pretty low bar unless you just want to appeal to those who'd give you points for membership.

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »
Isn't it a shame that this is even a concern?