Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Failed MPRE. Help!!  (Read 2727 times)

litoralis

• View Profile
Failed MPRE. Help!!
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »
Dammit. I didn't study and failed March's MPRE. I made all my vacation plans for August and can't retake it on August 8th. I really don't want my firm to find out I failed. If I retake the MPRE on November 8th will it be ok?

I hear that even after I pass the NY bar, the results don't come out until November. And then it takes the NY bar association until Feb to April of the next year to process applications (e.g. process the character and fitness test).

So I could retake it and pass in November. Then, in December, I would get the passing result and forward it to the NY bar association for them to process along with my character and fitness materials. By the time Feburary rolls around and other associates start reporting that they have been admitted and sworn in, I could honestly say that I have passed everything and I am just waiting for the NY bar association to finish processing my materials.

Will this work? Can I take my August bar trip, retake the MPRE in Nov and get away with no one knowing I failed?

Thanks in advance.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Re: Failed MPRE. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:30:51 PM »
No one cares.  Take it again.  I failed it the first time because I didn't study.  I took it a second time and passed with no problems.  Your firm will not care.  Hell, they don't even need to know.  Take it in November or August right after the bar exam, and study this time.

litoralis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
No one cares.  Take it again.  I failed it the first time because I didn't study.  I took it a second time and passed with no problems.  Your firm will not care.  Hell, they don't even need to know.  Take it in November, and study this time.

So it is true that bar results aren't known till November and admittance isn't until Feb-April anyway?

And release of bar results isn't contingent on passing the MPRE?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:56:02 PM »
You should check w/ the NY Bar Admissions Office for when they need the MPRE results by.  It seems from the dates you've given that taking it in the fall would be ok, but until you ask them, you won't know for sure.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:12:30 PM »
Agreed. Ask the folks in NY what's the latest date for them to receive the scores.

And next time, put in at least a day of study time.

Oh, and when you take the bar (or bars) this summer -- I'd suggest perhaps you study a little.

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:14:47 AM »
Agree with jacy, just check with the NY Bar. I know that in PA, the bar won't admit you until they have your scores. We receive our bar scores in mid October and can be admitted as early as November, if you have the MPRE in. But as you well know, every state is different.