Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is 5.29 lbs too heavy for a laptop that I need to carry everywhere ?  (Read 6523 times)

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is 5.29 lbs too heavy for a laptop that I need to carry everywhere ?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »
I'm ordering an HP from online for law school. I'm not sure if 5.29 lbs will turn out to be hassle. My current laptop is so OLD that I can't compare this new with it..
Sorry in advance, if this is considered a stupid question!

Though this may be hard to believe, in my experience as a former sales rep for a fortune 500 tech company this question isn't 'stupid'.  I used to get this all the time.
Here's the deal:
Sub 4 pound laptops are easier to lug around everywhere, but tend to cost more than larger, heavier notebooks.  Notebooks above 6.5 pounds are heaver and feel like a lead weight.  With a lighter notebook, you will have less fatigue.  Just before going to law school, I purchased a full featured notebook thinking I would save some money and still manage to lug the thing around.  At just over 6 pounds, the thing is a tank.  If I had a chance to do it all over again, I'd get a screen no larger than 14 inches and weighing no more than 4 pounds.
I always recommend you purchase a model from the small/medium business line if you like HP.  Their Compaq and home lines are cheaped out, easier to break, and tend to fail well before the small biz models.  In general, I am not a huge fan of HP.  They make good stuff, but if you are thinking about buying from HP, you'd be better off going to cdw.com and talking to the person who handles your educational account (if you go to a school, chances are the school has some contact with CDW and a rep can set you up with educational discount pricing).  www.cdw.com
That said, try to keep your notebook below 5 pounds.  3-4 is ideal.
Justice is tangy....

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
lighter the better given how much the books weigh

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:25:28 PM »
You can always get the books unbound.

But I agree about a lighter laptop being better. (As long as it's not a Dell which, in my opinion, is a piece o' crap.)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 01:16:07 AM »
If you buy a Dell, also buy through small/med biz if you can.  That was actually cheaper than the edu discount for me.  It seems like a third of my school has the Inspiron 700m.  It works for me, but if I had the money now, I'd get the MacBook MA701LL.  It's 5 pounds and about $1100, maybe you could get it cheaper somewhere.
Fed gov't atty

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 01:41:24 AM »
is my 15 pound desktop too heavy to transport to school and home?  Im thinkin if i get a flatscreen it wont be so bad?
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

xboxed

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »
I'm ordering an HP from online for law school. I'm not sure if 5.29 lbs will turn out to be hassle. My current laptop is so OLD that I can't compare this new with it..
Sorry in advance, if this is considered a stupid question!

Yes.  That is like toting an encyclopedia.

confusedatquinnipiac

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »
yeah besides weight though, I would recommend an HP... mine is pretty good.. was expensive (but has probably gone down considerabley since)but my undergrad school covered the whole thing through a graduating seniors scholarship :-D but I would definately recommend this one... its not too heavy, its got enough memory and even though I have only had it a year I am pretty rough when it comes to this stuff and its been standing up really well.. its an HP Pavillion dv6000

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »
Get a Mac. If you go to school in a city with an Apple store, it's easy to get it worked on if it breaks. No shipping it out for minor stuff that you can't fix. They can replace HD's, etc. in store. Beyond that, Mac's are infinitely superior to PC's in every way. I have a MacBook Air, which is awesome to take to class. It's significantly lighter than the iBook I used to have. That said, it is a little pricey. You can get a good MacBook for $999 with the student discount. Stay away from HP/Compaq/Dell (insert any other $499 laptop here), they are all trash. If you have to have a PC, get a T or X Series IBM.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »
If you are thinking about a Mac, make sure to check with your school first to see if its exam software will work with a Mac.  You probably don't want to be handwriting your exams.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 09:33:53 PM »
Any new Mac will run Windows, which in turn will run the Exam software. Just make sure they will allow you to use Windows/Boot Camp during the exam. I think almost all schools allow this now, since it's essentially a PC with an apple logo on it at that point.

If you are thinking about a Mac, make sure to check with your school first to see if its exam software will work with a Mac.  You probably don't want to be handwriting your exams.