Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: outlining/class reading  (Read 3737 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
outlining/class reading
« on: April 07, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »
In terms of when you guys were outlining for exams, did you tend to get behind in your class reading? How did you balance it all? My finals begin the 28th, and optimally, I could have them done with a few days before the test to spare, but I don't know if that will happen. I am a snail at outlining. But if I outline during the week, I get behind in class reading.

Tips?

:)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: outlining/class reading
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
Unfortunately, I think you just need to speed up in outlining, or reading, or both.  I typically started outlining about a month or so before exams, maybe a little sooner, and would sort of schedule myself by class (I would plan to outline 2 lectures on Saturday, 3 sunday, etc.).  I'd keep up with my reading and manage to get my outlines at least up to date by the last day of classes.  I'd then spend the time I had before exams doing nothing but reviewing and shortening my outlines (learning them backwards and forwards through the process) and then practice questions.

Big Changes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »
Put more time into it! Spend the whole weekend in the library, I think I spent 25 hours in the library a few weeks ago between friday night, saturday, and sunday.

Ideally, I guess you would have outlined a while ago, or at least started. The point of outlining is to learn the material, not to actually have the outline. In that way, I suppose it's best to be done at least a couple weeks before exams so you have the remaining 2 weeks to practice concepts on practice exams.

So move a *little* faster, but spend MUCH more time in the library.

mutual_biscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:24:27 PM »
My class preparation certainly takes a knock during the final month. I generally do a pretty detailed brief for every case, but during the last few weeks i knock it down to the bare essentials. I also implement mandatory library time on the weekends.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
I guess I do need to just try to be faster, because I literally am spending tons of hours studying (reading, outlining, briefs) both during the week and weekend, and I have virtually no time for anything else. I started outlining last month.

Thanks guys, I'll just try to press on.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:20:42 PM »
A lot of people don't start outlining until a week or so before.  It depends on how comprehensive you need your outline to be.

starter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »
I just started outlining yesterday and my finals start on the 21st.  But I'm a second semester 3L who doesn't care about grades and never reads for class anyway. 

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 10:23:17 PM »
I just started outlining yesterday and my finals start on the 21st.  But I'm a second semester 3L who doesn't care about grades and never reads for class anyway. 

God, I cannot wait to be a 3L.

Overheard after my 1L class got out and a 3L class was entering.

3L: "Hey, did you do the reading?"

Other 3L: "Nah, I haven't done the reading since February."

Awesome.

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »

God, I cannot wait to be a 3L.

Overheard after my 1L class got out and a 3L class was entering.

3L: "Hey, did you do the reading?"

Other 3L: "Nah, I haven't done the reading since February."

Awesome.

This is the exact same conversation that many 1L's have at the beginning of my property class ...

Honestly, I think most law students work for the sake of working - i.e. work WAY too much.  There is no need to spend hours and hours and hours every day.  Jeesh.  You don't want to burn out before finals (which I did last semester - however, my grades were not bad).

uart

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:43:46 PM »
Honestly, I think most law students work for the sake of working - i.e. work WAY too much.  There is no need to spend hours and hours and hours every day.  Jeesh.  You don't want to burn out before finals (which I did last semester - however, my grades were not bad).

This is partially correct.

We all learn best in different ways. Personally, I don't brief or outline. It takes too much time.