Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: outlining/class reading  (Read 3725 times)

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: outlining/class reading
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 06:21:51 PM »
I agree - everyone does learn differently.  It just seems that many students are SO stressed/freaked out ALL THE TIME.  And they spend hours and hours in the library - it's crazy!

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »
I agree - everyone does learn differently.  It just seems that many students are SO stressed/freaked out ALL THE TIME.  And they spend hours and hours in the library - it's crazy!

I'm with you J.  I really think that people should focus on working smarter and not harder.  I think people obsess over little details that don't matter. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 07:50:58 PM »
I'm a 2L in the top 10%.  I always get my reading done, I pay attention in class, and I take okay notes.  I usually don't start outlining until a week before finals after classes end.  But, as the posters above stated, everyone is different.

broken

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »
I know this comment probably won't help the OP at this point, but I'm a big fan of the "start outlining a month into the semester and outline all semester long" approach. Now that finals are a few weeks away, my focus is on making the outline better and memorizing its contents, rather than starting them from scratch. It's easier on my stress level.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 03:14:56 AM »
My schedule that worked really well was to get my reading for week done on weekend [which takes alot of time but this works for me]. And then spend weeknights outlining. I find it helpful to get a large chunk done during spring break. I am in the same position you are w/ finals on the 28th. I spent extra time to finish my reading for the semester early. Now I have about a week and a half to finish all my outlines. So I guess general advice is it depends on how you learn. But if you need your outline to do well..coffee and late nights may be in order. This is my game plan for my evidence outline..which needs a lot more work.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
My schedule that worked really well was to get my reading for week done on weekend [which takes alot of time but this works for me]. And then spend weeknights outlining. I find it helpful to get a large chunk done during spring break. I am in the same position you are w/ finals on the 28th. I spent extra time to finish my reading for the semester early. Now I have about a week and a half to finish all my outlines. So I guess general advice is it depends on how you learn. But if you need your outline to do well..coffee and late nights may be in order. This is my game plan for my evidence outline..which needs a lot more work.

I am doing mine kind of backwards from that... I try to outline all weekend, and then I've been leaving most of my reading for right before class on the day of the class. ALso been trying to outline on the weeknights. But your plan might work better. Perhaps I'll try it this weekend.. finish all my last week's reading, and then do outlines during the week.

I think you have better the first time, outline then read.  I figure if one has to give, I rather it be the reading than outlining.  You need to finish outlining to leave a couple days to memorize it forwards and backwards and to do practice exams.  You graded on your exam generally, not your participation.  I'm probably just making an excuse for missing some readings the last two weeks of classes, but I feel justified.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »
NOTA, those were my original feelings too. I guess it's different for everyone.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 01:20:52 PM »
Well I am done 2 out of 3 of my outlines and will finish my last one tonight. How is everyone else doing?

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »
Well I am done 2 out of 3 of my outlines and will finish my last one tonight. How is everyone else doing?

I'm not done with any of mine, but am trucking along. Also, a million Qs have come up about the material for me during outlining.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
 Why don't you all outline while you read and while you are in class. My notes are compiled in to a huge outline. I do them both at the same time... If I had to go back and try to re-outline i'd go insane...
   If your not good at outlining find someone who is.. and get their outline or a past outline, here is a site that may help ya...http://www.outlinedepot.com/ haha  good luck everyone.. I got 5 finals this semester..
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!