Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer starters have an "unique" advantage?  (Read 1711 times)

Meek

• View Profile
Summer starters have an "unique" advantage?
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:13:58 AM »
Almost all the people with summer associate positions at firms I know are summer starters (classified as 1L/2L or maybe 2L). They seem to be more appealing to employers because they started early and hence can contribute essentially as 2Ls. (I know some that put 2L status on resumes and cover letters.) Then, they can do another round of summer associate jobs their second year and then graduate 3 months later... Hmmm, that seems like a sweet bargain! As a regular starter, I basically only get one go as a real summer associate (if I wanted that). Anyone else thinks so too?

GA-fan

Re: Summer starters have an "unique" advantage?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
ummm, not really. Most people at any of these schools with summer starts won't get summer associate jobs, period. It might be a boon to the top of the class, but it sure stinks to be unable to get a job for two summers, which many will do. plus, most students graduate and start work in the Fall--do you really want to be the only one at your firm that shows up to start work in March?

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »
man- at my school- summer start program is total bs- 1) they take classes in the summer that count towards their GPA so basicaly they all have a-b averages.  Second, they have lighter class loads or just take regular schedule and graduate early or what not- its BS that so many of them are top of the class because they ride on their summer GPA's and over all training they received.  I hate the program, think it should be abolished.  Gives unfair advantage to kids who shouldnt be in law school anyways.
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

AnneBoleyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:40:10 AM »
If they're putting "2L" status on the resumes, I hope they checked with career services first...

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 07:56:40 AM »
I don't know of any top law school that offers a summer start program.  That being said, it is highly unlikely that these folks are getting big firm gigs after they are done with 1L.  The only "reputable" school I know off-hand that has a summer start program is Iowa, and we all saw what they did to themselves in the comment section of abovethelaw.com after the most recent rankings surfaced and their drop was made known.

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/03/the_us_news_rankings_law_schoo.php#more

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 08:41:58 AM »
Michigan does as well.
Boalt Hall '10

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
I question whether "an" in front of "unique" is proper.  that is all.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
ummm, not really. Most people at any of these schools with summer starts won't get summer associate jobs, period. It might be a boon to the top of the class, but it sure stinks to be unable to get a job for two summers, which many will do. plus, most students graduate and start work in the Fall--do you really want to be the only one at your firm that shows up to start work in March?

Really?  It sounds like you may be talking out of your ass.  I won't be able to get a job in either summer, even though I am at a top-ten school?  I guess I'm wasting my money.

And yes, I really do want to be the only one showing up in March.  I get paid for 6 months before anyone else shows up?  I have 6 months more experience, and have been building relationships with the other attorneys for that whole time?  That will suck.

I can't speak for any other programs, but the summer-start program at Michigan is fantastic, which is why I asked multiple times to participate in it.  I won't claim to know how many hiring partners you have spoken with, but the ones I have spoken with told me that, in fact, starting in the summer will give me a slightly better chance at getting a 1L summer gig than the fall starters.  It's very difficult for ANY 1L to get a summer associate position, so that doesn't mean it will be likely for me, but it will be MORE likely for me. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:49:47 AM »
It's not "very difficult for ANY 1L to get a summer associate position."  Email the career services office at Michigan and ask for the list of summer jobs 1Ls have taken this year.

But I really don't think early start gives you an appreciable advantage.

GA-fan

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:10:54 AM »

Really?  It sounds like you may be talking out of your ass.  I won't be able to get a job in either summer, even though I am at a top-ten school?  I guess I'm wasting my money.

And yes, I really do want to be the only one showing up in March.  I get paid for 6 months before anyone else shows up?  I have 6 months more experience, and have been building relationships with the other attorneys for that whole time?  That will suck.

I can't speak for any other programs, but the summer-start program at Michigan is fantastic, which is why I asked multiple times to participate in it.  I won't claim to know how many hiring partners you have spoken with, but the ones I have spoken with told me that, in fact, starting in the summer will give me a slightly better chance at getting a 1L summer gig than the fall starters.  It's very difficult for ANY 1L to get a summer associate position, so that doesn't mean it will be likely for me, but it will be MORE likely for me. 
Michigan is the exception, not the rule, and you know that. most summer start programs are 'remedial' or are offered at T3 and T4s where the job prospects were already horrible. Even at my T1, less than 1/2 of the students have paying firm gigs this summer as 2Ls. that number drops significantly for lower-ranked schools who typcially have summer start programs.