Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bar review courses  (Read 1390 times)

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bar review courses
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 04:30:43 PM »
For PMBR, as long as you get the red book and blue book, it's probably pretty current. I wouldn't be too concerned beyond that.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 07:36:46 PM »
Ditto.  I don't think the books have publication dates in them (prob b/c they use the same ones every year).  The ones they change are in the 3 day course, I think.

Some of the answers, as you start studying, will seem incorrect. Those questions you talk out with a study buddy. When you get to that point you know you are in good shape in terms of studying. 

As for what I'm doing, I'm just doing BarBri.  I heard differing opinions on everyone re: the MBE and PMBR.  I decided to not spend the money on the course, and I'm just going to get the PMBR books on ebay or something and work through some problems on my own.  I think most of my friends are doing some combo of both, however.

I have heard this too.  Does anyone know the most recent publication of PMBR MBE books?  Differences in publications? 

Probably no big deal, but would hate to end up with outdated questions/answers, etc.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:57:53 PM »
When did PMBR become necessary?  I'm just doing Barbri and hoping that will be enough. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »
For PMBR, as long as you get the red book and blue book, it's probably pretty current. I wouldn't be too concerned beyond that.

Thanks!

As for when PMBR became necessary, who knows.  They certainly do a good job capitalizing on our fear of failing the bar.

mmhome

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 11:01:33 PM »
I found PMBR to be a HUGE waste of time.  If you are self motivated, I highly recommend Adaptibar over PMBR. And I had several friends that did BarBri self study and all passed (but none took NY).  One of the things that could bother some people in BarBri classes is the stress level.  My God - I thought some of those people were going to explode.  If you are one that gets bothered by that, then run like hell from BarBri classes.  Oh...and in typical law student fashion....there are the liars telling everybody how many practice questions they did and how well they did on the last practice test.  If you are one to buy into that and get bothered by it, then beware.  None of that stuff bothered me but it really messed up my best friend's head.  She flunked.  The second go round, she did self study and was much calmer. She hasn't gotten her results yet, though.  One of the things that did bother me was the sloooooow pace of some of the lectures.  But, I needed the set schedule to motivate me so it worked well for me. Good Luck. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »
...One of the things that could bother some people in BarBri classes is the stress level.  My God - I thought some of those people were going to explode.  If you are one that gets bothered by that, then run like hell from BarBri classes.  Oh...and in typical law student fashion....there are the liars telling everybody how many practice questions they did and how well they did on the last practice test.  If you are one to buy into that and get bothered by it, then beware.  ...

:D  None of this surprises me.  I suppose it was overly optimistic to expect the asshats who did this during law school to grow up during the 2 week break between graduation and BarBri!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 12:44:25 AM »
There's also the people who make sure they get a tan so they can give the impression of how little they're studying. Or go out drinking. Or whatever.

Personally, it didn't bother me in law school, and it didn't bother me in law prep.

I did appreciate the value of the day's crossword puzzle or sudoku, however. Sometimes the lectures were a little rambly.