Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TTT  (Read 6879 times)

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: TTT
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2008, 12:37:10 AM »
Those figures look out of date. Starting salaries in NY were at $145 three years ago, and the princeton review figures appear to reflect base salary, not total compensation (which makes sense since you  know your starting salary when you fill out the survey at graduation, whereas you do not know with certainty what your bonus will be). Most NYU people report their stats b/c otherwise they get no convocation tickets. Look you dont have to believe me but I am telling you, if you are at a top 5 law school, 95% of the people at your school can get a job making market. Market now is $210,000 with bonus. Can somebody else from a top 5 school please confirm this?

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2008, 12:46:26 AM »
I mean no offense when I say this, but when verifying, please provide some links. I'm actually curious what market rates are in the NE in general if anyone can post that link.  links with bonus info would be stellar as well.

>I honestly feel this is a stupid argument since I'm only disputing your claim of 95%.  While I do think the majority of students could get big law jobs, 95% is an exaggeration I have to address.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2008, 12:51:32 AM »
I will back it up: the easiest market for NYU students is NY. 95% of NYU students (if not more) can get an NY job paying market. the market salary for first years was $160,000. The market bonus for first years was $50,000. That is a total salary of $210,000.

market bonus is 50K in NY?  *&^%, maybe i am working in the wrong city.  Here, I got the impression we were lucky to pull 15-20K in bonuses.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2008, 12:53:28 AM »
http://www.lawfirmdiscussion.com/compensation/newyork07salary.php has up to date salary information. Bonus stuff can be found on www.abovethelaw.com. Seriously, virtually everybody at these schools get a job paying market. I am trying to tell you I go to one of the schools and I do not know anybody who could not get one of those jobs.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2008, 12:54:13 AM »
I will back it up: the easiest market for NYU students is NY. 95% of NYU students (if not more) can get an NY job paying market. the market salary for first years was $160,000. The market bonus for first years was $50,000. That is a total salary of $210,000.

market bonus is 50K in NY?  *&^%, maybe i am working in the wrong city.  Here, I got the impression we were lucky to pull 15-20K in bonuses.

It was $50k last year. Lets see what happens with this economy. What market are you in (if you dont mind me asking)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2008, 12:56:23 AM »
I am in DC. I havent started my SA yet, but got the impression from abovethelaw it was much lower.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2008, 12:58:42 AM »
I get the impression that DC is a lot less consistent - seems like the NY firms do one thing and the other firms do another. But hey, the COL difference is going to eat up my extra bonus money and then some.

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2008, 01:40:16 AM »
Theoretically, yes, every single student at NYU can get a biglaw job in NY making 160,000. However, not every student at NYU is interested in biglaw. A significant number of students, probably 15-20%, voluntarily pursue public interest. In addition, many students decide to work at firms in DC, LA, SF, etc. So, while every student could choose NY biglaw, many do not for a variety of reason. Hence, although 95% is an exaggeration, it is a self-selected one.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2008, 01:54:31 AM »
note that what I said is 95% could get NY biglaw, not that they chose to do it.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2008, 09:01:41 AM »

It was $50k last year. Lets see what happens with this economy. What market are you in (if you dont mind me asking)

50k seems to be an exaggeration. i think that most nyc firms hover in the 25k to 35k range in terms of annual bonus. a friend of mine at latham (first year) was excited to receive a (~)35k bonus this year as latham had a great year and this # was at the high end of the spectrum. granted, there are a few firms like cravath which hand out 150K bonuses but you're literally working 7 days a week 15 hours a day. #ers like these are certainly not representative.

i was a SA w/ a big firm in nyc last summer and was told that the average bonus for first years falls between 20 and 25k.

all the same, i feel as if we're splitting hairs here. no, you're average nyc first year biglaw associate probably won't crack 200, but he'll be pretty d**mn close (i.e. 190-170) (i'm having difficulty complaining given the fact that when i started law school in '05, market salary was 125k). and yes, 190-170 is obviously vastly superior to the 50-35 that you'll get (if you're lucky) coming out of the various TTT and TTTT that we have made a hobby of lampooning.

the stories are seemingly endless these days. a friend of mine who graduated from pepperdine last year (t2?) is still woefully unemployed. and it's not like she's looking for law firm work; she's willing to take anything at this point and it's just not happening.

have any you new yorkers heard anything regarding the nyc market salary? i know that it's stuck at 160 for the immediate time being, but given that DC, MA, and CA have matched, i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a potential bump of some sort. any rumors floating around over there? i had initially heard 190, but apparently that was just fluff. oh well, here's hoping... ;)