Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: journals that publish articles written by students  (Read 2350 times)

Budlaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: journals that publish articles written by students
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
I have an article being published in another school's specialty journal. Its a rough process. I sent it out to about 60 journals. Most didn't even bother to reply. Only 3 of the 10 or so replies I got said they were going to consider it. One finally picked it up very late in the game. (I imagine someone withdrew or something, but whatever, I'm getting published!)

Its a hard process, and you need a thick skin, but its possible to do. I would recommend that you use ExpressO to find out the names of the different specialty journals at each school. Also try some 3rd and 4th teir school's main journal. You can then just look them up online and check out their submission guidelines. They will generally tell you there if they accept student pieces. If you want, you can use ExpressO to actually submit your article. However, if you're sending it to a lot of journals, this can be expensive. And you could also waste money by sending it to journals that don't take student pieces.

Do submit it to any specialty journal that falls within the range of your article though. Most won't look at it, but you may get lucky.

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
BudLaw,  you said you sent your piece to 60 diff. journals, I was under the impression that you cant have a piece submitted to more than one journal at a time.  This rule would disallow multiple journals from accepting your piece and planning on printing it only to have you retract your submission... Im assuming I am misinformed or were you just playing the game?  and no I cant put my finger on where I got my info, though Im fairly certain it wasnt from a discussion board... Others comment on this?
PS, sweet play in any event, well done on the publication.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 07:57:31 PM »
BudLaw,  you said you sent your piece to 60 diff. journals, I was under the impression that you cant have a piece submitted to more than one journal at a time.  This rule would disallow multiple journals from accepting your piece and planning on printing it only to have you retract your submission... Im assuming I am misinformed or were you just playing the game?  and no I cant put my finger on where I got my info, though Im fairly certain it wasnt from a discussion board... Others comment on this?
PS, sweet play in any event, well done on the publication.

No. You can submit to as many journals as you like. But you should only sign a publication agreement with one.

I have gotten three articles published in law journals while in law school. You should target specialty journals that publish on the area of law your piece covers. And most journals welcome work by law students. Quality of analysis and originality are key, especially for student writers.

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:13:10 PM »
Nice,
LSD comes through again,
thanks.