Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: journals that publish articles written by students  (Read 2359 times)

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
journals that publish articles written by students
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »
Can anyone direct me to a list of journals that are willing to publish articles written by current law students?

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: journals that publish articles written by students
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »
Can anyone direct me to a list of journals that are willing to publish articles written by current law students?

*gives you list of ALL journals that exist*

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:38:38 PM »
I mean journals that publish articles by students who attend other schools.  My journal won't publish student written work except for a few notes from current journal members.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »
I don't know that there is such a list.

I think you're much more likely to find someone to publish your work if you focus on specialty journals. 

Edit:  It's probably more unlikely that you'll find a flagship journal to publish non-member student works; I know my school's doesn't accept student submissions (but I think our secondary speciality journals do!)

Lawbster

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:45:08 PM »
I mean journals that publish articles by students who attend other schools.  My journal won't publish student written work except for a few notes from current journal members.

What school do you go to?

I've been published in my school's journal and in another school's (T50 main journal) journal. I'm pretty sure anyone will publish anything if it's good enough. Generally though, they do prefer the bigger names. However, if what you've written is unique enough, they will publish.

GA-fan

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure anyone will publish anything if it's good enough. Generally though, they do prefer the bigger names. However, if what you've written is unique enough, they will publish.
I'm on the main journal for my school, and we don't even READ non-member student submissions. I think this is a pretty hard-and-fast rule for primary law reviews, particularly those that get enough good submissions from faculty. You may have more luck as Jacy said with 2ndary or specialty journals or with essay contests (your school probably has a list of them, and many come with a publication for the winner). You could always work on an article now and then just polish up and submit it after you've graduated, as well...

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »

W&L ranks law reviews.  I bet the lower ranked journals are more likely to publish student-written work from other schools: http://lawlib.wlu.edu/LJ/

nbf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
As others have said, I'm on my school's flagship journal and we don't read student submitted articles

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »
I'm on my schools secondary journal, and we don't accept current law students publications. I would look for things like the Berkley writing contests, ect, like were mentioned above. Plus, most of the time those come with money. :-)

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »
Another good trick to have a flagship journal publish your work if you're a non-member: ask a professor at your school if he'd be willing to become a co-author of your article.  This is exactly what one of my classmates did, even though he's a non-member, and surprise surprise, his article is getting published in our journal this year.  Granted he is not listed as the main author, even though he is the one who wrote it, but he is still getting published, and no matter how you look at it, that's an achievement.