Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top x%....  (Read 3584 times)

sternerstuff

• View Profile
Top x%....
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »
My school's online OCI posts the firm listings,  a lot of the firms come right out and say "required: Top 15%",  is this more a function of their selectivity or my T3 school's status.  For example do the listings on websites for schools in the top 50 have the same top 15%, or does a higher ranked school get that % figure pushed back to 20% or top 1/3???---  Im unemployable anyway but ive got 5 dollars riding on it.

FreddyPharkas

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Top x%....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:37:13 PM »
It's because of your *&^% school.

Good schools either have a MUCH lower cutoff, or no cutoff in the case of the elite schools.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
My school's online OCI posts the firm listings,  a lot of the firms come right out and say "required: Top 15%",  is this more a function of their selectivity or my T3 school's status.  For example do the listings on websites for schools in the top 50 have the same top 15%, or does a higher ranked school get that % figure pushed back to 20% or top 1/3???---  Im unemployable anyway but ive got 5 dollars riding on it.

I am at a top 20 school with over 500 firms recruiting here (at least that is what the CDO propaganda says).  Anyway, we have a lot of firms here that give grade cut offs.

The majority say either top 15% recommended or required.  Some say top 20%, and a few say top 30%.  None of them really say anything lower then that.  I feel like the majority asks for top 15%.  That said, I was slightly outside the top 15% at my school and still got numerous interviews at firms that restricted it. 

So, I would say that it is more a function of their selectivity.  However, although they are willing to see applicants in the top 15% I would imagine that very few applicants outside the top 5% or so will get interviews and even fewer will get hired.  So, basically, the top 15% is a product of their selectivity and probably the fact that they probably send the same hiring criteria to every school they interview at.  However, the outcome of OCI will be very minimal based on the status of the school.

I hope you won. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:56 PM »
I've only seen a few "prefer top 15%", a few "prefer journal" requests.  But it doesn't matter.  They don't get to pick who they see anyway and even if they did, they wouldn't know anything but the median.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:30 PM »
I've only seen a few "prefer top 15%", a few "prefer journal" requests.  But it doesn't matter.  They don't get to pick who they see anyway and even if they did, they wouldn't know anything but the median.

I believe you said you are at a T14, so, by them not picking, I assume yours uses a lottery?  I think I have a general idea of where you are at and it doesnt surprise me that few have restrictions as they hire really deep into the class. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 11:41:38 PM »
Thorc I saw tons that just said 3.33 or 3.0. 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:02:59 AM »
Thorc I saw tons that just said 3.33 or 3.0. 

I just pulled up the list of firms I applied to.  I applied to 35 firms.

20 had percent ranges:
2 Firms: top 10%
3 Firms: top 10-15%
2 Firms: top 15%
1 Firm: top 20%
9 Firms: top 25%
2 Firms: top 30%
1 Firm: top 33%

7 Firms: didnt have anything posted

7 Firms: asked for just a grade range

12 Firms: asked for a grade range and gave a ranking range

Anyway, so most of the firms, at least from the list of ones I applied to (and I remember generally from the other list), had class ranking cut offs for applicants.  However, some did give gpa cut offs and many did both.  I think its really funny, looking back, how very few of the ones that give both gpa and class ranking cutoffs have the two coordinate. 

Greenberg, for example, asks for a B+ average and then top 15%.  Thats why I think that they just kinda send the same thing to every school as they arent coordinated at all.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
Also, I applied and got callbacks from many that I was outside of the range for.  Like thorc said, the ranges are often the same throughout where they recruit, that doesn't mean they will or will not abide by them for your school necessarily.

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 09:28:59 PM »
I won 5$,
thanks

uart

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 10:48:22 PM »
Greenberg, for example, asks for a B+ average and then top 15%.  Thats why I think that they just kinda send the same thing to every school as they arent coordinated at all.

TITCR. Which is why career services basically told us to ignore that if we really liked a firm.