Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FYI from a 3L  (Read 10311 times)

louisvillesucks

• View Profile
    • Email
FYI from a 3L
« on: April 01, 2008, 06:15:49 PM »
A disclaimer - I'm in the top 10% of my class.  I am on law review.  And I had top summer associate positions both after my first year and after my second year.  I will be starting at one of those firms this fall.  I say this not to brag, but to prove that I'm not an idiot who holds a grudge against U of L because she couldn't get a job.

With that in mind, please heed my advice.  DO NOT GO TO THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE FOR LAW SCHOOL!!!  Many of your classmates will truly be idiots.  Many of your teachers just won't care about you (though there are a few good ones here).  The administration honestly doesn't give a *&^% about the students - it keeps us in the dark about major changes in the law school until they happen and fails to inform us about major suspensions of high ranking administrators.  They sometimes seem to go out of their way to make things hard on students.  Our academic support administrator finally got sick of it all and just quit in the middle of this semester.  She was the person that all of the 1Ls went to when they had academic problems - and when she left, many of them were understandably confused and worried.  I sure would have been.  Our dean of career services recently announced her "retirement," and many think it was needed, as job placement is far from ideal.  Along those lines, if you do attend U of L, please don't expect to get a good job.  Maybe 20 of 140 students will end up with big firm jobs - the rest will either be stuck doing insurance defense work at the salary of a McDonald's manager or doing pro bono work at the salary of a McDonald's burger-flipper.

And do I even need to mention the school's recent near 30 spot drop in the USNWR rankings?

In close, just don't say someone didn't warn you. 

none

• View Profile
Re: FYI from a 3L
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »
You make very credible statements.  I'm a Louisville native and I know U of L well.  I also know that someone with whom I went to high school also went to Brandeis and this person is indeed doing insurance defense work now.  I have no idea where this person finished in their law school class, but it lends credibility to your indictment. 

Having said that, are you from Louisville?  If so, c'mon...did you really think you were going to get a great education there?  It's freakin' U of L.  I'm far from a UK fan, but regionally UK is way above U of L.  Louisville just isn't a big enough city to give that many good jobs to people locally, and the U of L name doesn't carry very far outside of "Kentuckiana". 

But I'm glad that it worked out for you at least.

louisvillesucks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »
Three reasons I came to U of L

1. full scholarship (turned down multiple offers from T14 schools to come here)
2. I have some family/friends in Louisville (though I was born and went to college elsewhere)
3. I didn't want to work the hours the lawyers do in the money-center markets (e.g. NYC, DC, etc.)

Despite my choice to come here, the fact remains - the school sucks, and it's only going to get worse.

And wow - 200-something comments in 2 days?  Surprised that many people actually care about this school...

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »
If you turned down T14s to go to U of L perhaps you didn't get a job because you have bad judgment.

louisvillesucks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »
Peaches - I certainly hope you aren't in law school.  I have a top job in my market, see original post.

And I turned it down so I could have 0 debt instead of $180K plus interest.  While those NYU grads are working 100 hours a week to make the payments on their loans and 1500 square foot apartment, I'll be working 50-60 to pay for my Benz and 5000 square foot house.

none

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »
louisvillesucks,
I can understand your reasoning.  I made the opposite choice for undergrad actually - U of L offered me a full scholarship plus stipend and I turned it down to go out of state.  It was easier for me to do so because I already knew U of L's local reputation for academic quality.  In  any case, I'm glad you were able to beat the odds and come out on top.

I'm in a similar position. I'll owe only $12k when I graduate, and my wife works too.  So I'll be making bank doing a job I love (government) and still have a great quality of life.  Sucks to be the kids who think their lives are going to be great when they're $200k+ in debt....Peaches, I'm looking in your direction.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »
I missed the sentence.  I still think that's a bad decision, and apparently you do too or else you wouldn't have bothered to start the thread.  Lawyers and clients are snooty and the "I could have gone to a T14!" doesn't get you very far.

And none, you just can't "make bank" doing government.  So don't look at me -- I'll have <$200k in debt, actually will be making bank, and have a great quality of life.  People who will be in low-paying jobs love to throw around "quality of life" like they actually know what my life is like.  How do you know what firm I'm going to, how many billable hours I'll have, how much free time I'll have for family and hobbies, or what's in my bank account?

none

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »
Peaches,
I will be making bank, because I have no debt currently (none whatsoever, I've paid cash for everything up to this point) and my wife is a professional.  So, even if I am making $50k my first year in the government, my wife's salary puts us well into 6 digits.  That doesn't even count moving up the pay scale over the next several years in the government.  All that money you are paying on loans (years and years and years of paying on loans) I get to put in mutual funds and use as a huge downpayment on a home. BTW, I'm also former military and all that time I served gets counted toward my federal service, which which means I get a lot more vacation time every year! My point is - not everyone comes at law school from the same place in life, so going to a T-14 isn't always the right decision.

And I only "looked in your direction" because of your obnoxious comment above.  How do I know about your life?  Because your posting history gives you away.  I don't doubt that some people can find a good "quality of life" firm.  Given economic pressures on firms, that is hard to do.  I also don't doubt that some people can take on the debt and come out ahead.  But most don't.  Sorry, kid, I've got a few years on you and guess what - I'm a little wiser.

louisvillesucks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:43:48 PM »
The most persuasive argument ever against going to a T14 (at least for people like me who don't want to work at Cravath and have staplers thrown at their heads when they accidentally leave out a comma): the money I would have spent on tuition can be used to buy a brand new Ferarri F430.

But then again, we're off topic.  U of L still sucks.  Don't go there.

And I was hoping to get some defenders of the school, but I guess there are none.

louisvillesucks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 02:15:30 PM »
Admitted students day was yesterday.  Come on, some of you have to see this and want to disagree with me...

The dean of admissions does do a great job of putting an excellent face on this school.