Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Summer job process  (Read 15142 times)

0L_Anxiety

• View Profile
1L Summer job process
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:31:48 PM »
Hey, I'm a 0L and thought it might help him gain some insight into what to expect next summer by reading thru some of these posts. I was wondering a couple things: Do 1L's submit undergrad grades to apply for summer jobs (since they only have one semester or so of law school grades)? Are most summer job ops unpaid? If not how much could one expect to get paid?

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer job process
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
1. it should be on your transcript, but fall grades do matter.  one way to avoid that is to get your apps in on dec 1 before grades are out
2. generally, yes
3.  pay ranges from $0 to summer stipends offered by law schools/nonprofits ($2k-4k, generally) to those who landed gigs at small firms ($10-$20/hr) to those who were lucky enough to get biglaw 1L gigs (generally minority students, they can expect to make upwards of $20k over the summer).

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:48:48 PM »
1L grades:  You may begin writing firms on December 1.  Some offers are awarded without a firm ever receiving your grades, but most firms that are interested in you will require your first semester grades when available (especially if you do not attend a top school).  They may interview you before grades, but most offers aren't awarded until they've seen the numbers.  Undergrad and law school prestige matters for many firms for 1Ls. 

Job payment rates range from losing money over the summer to $3000+/wk.  Obviously there are more jobs at the lower end of that scale and fewer jobs available at the higher end of the scale.

Ask the career services office for the schools you're considering attending for a list of the positions that 1Ls last year accepted.  If the school won't give you the data, then you should assume that most of the students were in unpaid positions. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »
Also, while many firms have diversity programs and because of that minority students may have a higher chance of landing firm jobs, I definitely wouldn't say that 1L summer associates are "generally minority students."  Some schools have over 50% placement with market-paying firms; most of them are not minority. 

0L_Anxiety

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
Thanks so much for all the info guys! I really appreciate.

uart

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 01:13:37 AM »
Also, while many firms have diversity programs and because of that minority students may have a higher chance of landing firm jobs, I definitely wouldn't say that 1L summer associates are "generally minority students."  Some schools have over 50% placement with market-paying firms; most of them are not minority. 

1L BIGLAW summer associates are usually either:

1) From HYS
2) Minorities
3) Have a connection
4) Technical IP/Patent folks
5) Super-students.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:29:25 AM »
Peaches, can you show me a law school that isn't harvard or yale that has a 50% biglaw placement for 1Ls?

uart

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:12:53 AM »
Peaches, can you show me a law school that isn't harvard or yale that has a 50% biglaw placement for 1Ls?

Stanford.

Pay attention, dude.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
Dunno about 50% placement with "biglaw", but I think a lot of schools in the T14 are at or near 50% for firms that pay at or near market.  (2000-3200/wk depending on geographic area)  I'm at a T14 and know lots of people with multiple offers in that range and several who are splitting. 

Like I said, law school prestige is a huge factor for 1L hiring.  Undergrad prestige can be a big deal at some firms.  Grades always matter for biglaw.  And based on my experience and my conversations with people the power of "connections," a lot of times, weren't all they were cracked up to be. 

Captain's list of five categories is a bit more accurate than  craven's ignorant "generally minority students" comment, but I think Captain underestimates the ability of students with good grades and prior work experience to land a  high-paying 1L summer job.  And if you're not targeting NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago a geographic connection, good grades at an excellent school, work experience, good personality, and knowing what firms want will generally get you something.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 11:39:14 AM »
My comment was merely to illustrate the fact that a large number of 1L jobs at big firms I looked at were carved out for diversity fellowships.