Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Summer job process  (Read 15168 times)

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Summer job process
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
Also, while many firms have diversity programs and because of that minority students may have a higher chance of landing firm jobs, I definitely wouldn't say that 1L summer associates are "generally minority students."  Some schools have over 50% placement with market-paying firms; most of them are not minority. 

1L BIGLAW summer associates are usually either:

1) From HYS
2) Minorities
3) Have a connection
4) Technical IP/Patent folks
5) Super-students.

This is sort of right, except for category 1, if you look at the vault rankings (which are really only good for what schools biglaw pulls from) you will see HYS is not actually where the highest number of students get pulled from, for example, Yale is 14th. On the other hand HYS offers a wider range of oppurtunities beyond just 1L biglaw, like, for example, the White House  :P. But that one takes, 1, a LOT of 3 and maybe some 2.

uart

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »
Also, while many firms have diversity programs and because of that minority students may have a higher chance of landing firm jobs, I definitely wouldn't say that 1L summer associates are "generally minority students."  Some schools have over 50% placement with market-paying firms; most of them are not minority. 

1L BIGLAW summer associates are usually either:

1) From HYS
2) Minorities
3) Have a connection
4) Technical IP/Patent folks
5) Super-students.

This is sort of right, except for category 1, if you look at the vault rankings (which are really only good for what schools biglaw pulls from) you will see HYS is not actually where the highest number of students get pulled from, for example, Yale is 14th. On the other hand HYS offers a wider range of oppurtunities beyond just 1L biglaw, like, for example, the White House  :P. But that one takes, 1, a LOT of 3 and maybe some 2.

Firms pull students from HYS. HYS students are less likely than others to work in firms. A high number of them go into academia, for example. If it makes you feel better though, replace "HYS" with "elite schools"

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:28 AM »
Do summer employers ask for LSAT scores?
To whom much is given, much is expected.

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »
I've never encountered a job interview that asked for my LSAT score.  By then, you already have a semester of grades and an official/unofficial GPA.  That, in combination with the school it's coming from, is enough to get the picture.

stgreenberg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
I applied to about 50 firms in the salary range I wanted ($125K+) and ended up getting an interview through OCI at my school for one of them. Did well in the interview and callback and I am now working at a top regional firm for my 1L summer.  Also helped that I am towards the top of my class (Albeit at a tier 2 school) and had a stellar undergrad record and some work experience.

-Sam

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 10:45:20 PM »
Yeah, I'm an entering 1L at a Tier2 school (actually it's also my alma mater, which I know some of you will criticize), but nonetheless, do these strategies work for people like me?  People with a decent UG GPA, one year commercial real estate experience, real estate license, a kid, and a 'winning personality'?!?!?

I am terrified that I will end up without a gig for the summer, and in turn, my chances of getting a nice paying job ($100,000+) will diminish significantly thereafter.

Is it even worth thinking I could land a job like that?  Obviously, if I end up in the Top 5% things may be easier, but I am certainly not placing all of my eggs in that basket!!!

I am going to school in the location I want to practice (Atlanta, GA) and have some firms in mind.  I also looked on NALP and the websites for the firms and there are a number of partners from my school at many of them.  I'm not opposed to govt positions and have really considered public interest for a career.  What can I do to up my chances to land a nice job my 1L summer?

And, out of curiosity, are white women considered "minorities"?  ;)

Just a thought...

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »
Yeah, I'm an entering 1L at a Tier2 school (actually it's also my alma mater, which I know some of you will criticize), but nonetheless, do these strategies work for people like me?  People with a decent UG GPA, one year commercial real estate experience, real estate license, a kid, and a 'winning personality'?!?!?

I am terrified that I will end up without a gig for the summer, and in turn, my chances of getting a nice paying job ($100,000+) will diminish significantly thereafter.

Is it even worth thinking I could land a job like that?  Obviously, if I end up in the Top 5% things may be easier, but I am certainly not placing all of my eggs in that basket!!!

I am going to school in the location I want to practice (Atlanta, GA) and have some firms in mind.  I also looked on NALP and the websites for the firms and there are a number of partners from my school at many of them.  I'm not opposed to govt positions and have really considered public interest for a career.  What can I do to up my chances to land a nice job my 1L summer?

And, out of curiosity, are white women considered "minorities"?  ;)

Just a thought...

Your 1L job has very, very little bearing on what you do 2L summer.  I worked for a DA's office my 1L summer, unpaid, and yet landed a big firm SA gig 2L summer.  Very, very few 1Ls (total, of all 1Ls, from all schools) land 1L big firm jobs, and many of those that do go to T1 schools.

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
Like other people have said I would definitely pick a few less competitive areas to target as well as the usual big cities. As long as you can demonstrate some reason you would want to work in those regions, you should have a couple nice back-up offers in those areas in case your favorite area isn't so kind. For example, I'm from a decent sized city on the West Coast and in addition to applying to major East Coast markets, I will apply to firms in my home town. They're more likely to offer me a job because I go to a much better school than all of their local schools and I have strong ties to the area.

TimMitchell

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
tag

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 11:16:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice and encouraging words... sometimes this board amps my anxiety level!  :)