Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can You Have A Life in Law School?  (Read 2875 times)

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can You Have A Life in Law School?
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:46:50 AM »
Lets say your going to a Tier 2, for instance somewhere like a Rutgers. Is it still possible to have a life and still be one of the better students. Im I going to have to study 12 hours a day. I can see myself treating it like a 9 to 5 and going to work every day but I hear people acting like they pull late nights every night.

So I guess my question really is how is your life in law school? also how are your grades?

lawless11

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can You Have A Life in Law School?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:02:02 AM »
bump...0L here but intersted as well.

I have worked FT (7:30-5:30ish) for a year since UG. I have been expecting to keep those hours for the most part in LS (obviously more towards the end of semester). Will that work you think?

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:38:02 AM »
no life in law school unless you are a nazi when it comes to time management.

translation- i just spent 30 hours this weekend (fri-sun) working on a paper.  You think i got laid? negative.
drunk? nope. watched a movie? not quite.  now THAT's time management. 

here's the deal, last semester i did the "9-5" thing and pulled overtime for finals and im top 10.  This semester ive been slacking and i will probably suffer because of it.  I'm sure you can have a life, it just depends- a case by case basis.  plus, if u go somewhere where there is no life, well then it doesnt matter. 
They will tell u to treat it like a 9-5 and make time for yourself.  but class alone is 9-5.  then you have homework.

good luck with your new hours.  i suspect there will be lots of coffee brewing.

"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:21 AM »
I'm at a T2 and right around the Top 10% cutoff (it isn't release until the end of the year), and got a CALI award in one class.  I slacked all first semester, never briefed, and relied on old outlines because I didn't get around to making my own.

It's possible to have a life in law school, but even I wouldn't recommend doing what I did.  Of course, I'm slacking even more this semester :(

AntoniusBlock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:51:23 AM »
I am at a middle T1 school...I spent far more time studying and attending much more class in undergrad.  I think the stories about needing to spend incredible amounts of time studying are overblown.

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 02:58:58 AM »
\.

good luck with your new hours.  i suspect there will be lots of coffee brewing.

I don't even know how to make coffee and I will be too broke for Starbucks. :'( :'(

Well this should be interesting I'm done questioning my decision to attend law school tonight.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:52:28 AM »
You don't know how to make coffee?  I shudder to think of the state of today's youth.

Anyway, a lot of the time management talk comes from fear-mongers or ultra type-a personalities.  I'm in the top 10-15% of a top 25 school (we don't rank, hence the fuzzy numbers).  2L now, headed to my first choice firm.  During 1L year I did a 9-6 sort of schedule, and generally took the evenings off unless I had a brief or something due.  For the last 3 weeks of the semester it was more like 9-5, and then 7-10.  I never felt overly stressed.  Had a steady girlfriend for the second half of the year.  No problems on that front either.

Now, as a 2L, I made dean's list last semester and feel like I'm doing fine this semester.  On a journal, though I keep my head down.  Schedule is more like 9-4 or 9-3, as I've realized I can blow off more stuff. 

The time you put in will probably depend mostly on your personality.  I know people who do the 12 hour a day, every day thing.  I haven't noted much of a gpa difference between that style and mine.

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
It all depends on you.  We all require different amounts of study time.  Personally, I didn't care to be at the top of my class, I was extremely lazy throughout the whole process.  I stayed in the top half until last semester when I had some health issues that caused a really bad semester.  However, I have friends that study like crazy.  Constantly reading, preparing, etc.  They are barely staying in school with really low grades.  They constantly talk about how they hate me for being able to be so lazy and still do ok.

I also have friends on law review that don't spend that much time studying.  They are complaining that they actually have to spend time doing school stuff now thanks to law review when they used to be out at the ball game, etc.

The only thing I can tell you is, study at least as hard or harder than you think you need to the first semester and see how your exams play out.  If you do good, then you can keep it up or even slack off a bit.  If you do average, same thing.  If you do bad, you need to either study harder or more likely smarter the next semester.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »
I agree- it really depends on you and what you want to get out of school.
Vanderbilt 2010

pomrlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »
glad i saw this....

from what I've heard, it is difficult but do-able. Not personal info though, just going form what I have heard through friends, etc.