Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to go??  (Read 396 times)

lawless11

• View Profile
    • Email
Where to go??
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:17:18 PM »
I am trying to decide between the U of Arkansas - Fayetteville and Oklahoma. I would come out of the U of A with virtually no debt at all, and would probably have between 15-25K in debt after going to OU.

I know OU is ranked higher, but the U of A is the second highest T3 in the 2009 rankings and they both really cater to the same region (mostly Tulsa, Little Rock, OKC, NW Ark and Dallas).

I'm from Dallas (went to U of A for UG) so I have a good amount of law contacts in Dallas and NW Ark.

What do you all think?

Thx!

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
1) u of a is not "second highest" in t-3 rankings, it is ALPHABETICALLY second. 
2) you might not come out of U of A with "no debt" unless there are no stipulations in maintaining the scholarship.  At my school if you drop below a 3.0 you loser your money and if you get above a 3.0 you get money.
3) It is not advised to go to the same law school as your undergrad, i believe employers like diversity, but that may just be a rumor. 
4) Depending on how high OU is ranked, it might not even be worth it.  If its not top 75 at least, i wouldn's weigh it against at least one year of free law school.

hope that helps. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

lawless11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:22:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply but a couple points to help clarify.

1) It is actually one of the last alphabetically. (It starts University of Arkansas-Fayetteville) If you will notice in the rankings online you can sort the T3 schools by alpha OR rank. When sorted by rank it is 2nd behind Creighton, and when sorted by alpha it is towards the very end with the rest of the "U"s.

Not that I am trying to brag about my T3 school...I realize the difference between them all is probably negligable at best.

2) The debt-free-edness of the U of A has more to do with in-state tuition and parental help than scholarships, although I have gotten more $$ there than at OU.

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:51:22 PM »
thanks for the clarification, point taken. 
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus