Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Interview w/V30 and Rejection Question...  (Read 1833 times)

Average1L

• View Profile
1L Interview w/V30 and Rejection Question...
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »
Got an interview w/V30 and was not selected.  Partner called and said everyone who interviewed me was impressed w/me and said that I was the second most likely person they would have hired.  Partner said I could interview for SA gig as 2L w/out going through OCI.  I am assuming they told the other six people they rejected the same thing.  Does this mean anything?  I attend a T4, so I was shocked that I even got an interview in the first place.  

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Interview w/V30 and Rejection Question...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:47:13 PM »
It means you can interview with them next semester and not have to go through OCI.

your welcome for the great advice :)

no.  basically, it means that they really just didnt have any spots open for 1Ls.  Many firms interview just to kind of build interest in their firm among members of your law school.  I have several friends that were told to come back, and I believe they all got offers the next year.  I had one firm tell me to skip OCI (didnt have an original interview my 1L year) and go right for callbacks and I got an offer.

Basically, it makes things easier next year because, if you have a limit for OCI, you dont have to count that firm.  Plus, you will go right to callbacks and probably get an offer if they really did like you and your transcript/resume doesnt take a downfall before then.

Make sure you try your best to get law review though, because that will make or break you.

dont read into it too much, but look at it all as a good sign.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
don't assume that they said that to everybody. Firms do not invite you to bypass a screening interview unless they had a favorable impression. It is possible that the guy wasn't sincere when he said you were the second choice, but most partners know that law students need honest feedback for interviews, and I think they would tell you the truth. It sounds like you interviewed well, but 1st yr summer associate jobs are hard to get, so dont stress out.

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »
Yeah, you should be on point.  However, if your GPA doesn't stay where it is, that could kill the offer.  Nonetheless, it's a nice thing to have going into 2L.