Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: random Q to make myself feel better  (Read 953 times)

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
random Q to make myself feel better
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
I have no time to brief now, although I felt like it helped me because I went back over the case. I make a lot of notations in my book.

- When did any of you stop briefing?
- Did you notice a reduction in understanding and/or your grade?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: random Q to make myself feel better
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Spring 2L year

not sure about the grades yet.

I started taking better class notes and outlining much sooner so Id still know from memory if the class notes left anything major out from the case. 

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »
I quit briefing after the first two weeks of law school.  When I'm outlining, I just include 2-3 sentences about a case to jog my memory.  Fact patterns weren't really important for any of my exams, so I didn't spend any time on that.  Mine goes something like: "Bankrupt man gives $$$$ to mistress. No dice, because only sham consideration."  Added maybe a quotable sentence from the reasoning. 

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 06:52:37 PM »
After first year.

Briefing after first year is probably a waste of time.  By then you know what you are looking for in class, so you take better (and more efficient, more effective) class notes. Once you can efficiently book brief (doing the brief in the margins of your text), you can tailor your notes to the professors style of exam writing--some exams are very fact specific, like con law, while others are not.  Listening is key. 
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!