Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Types of Law?  (Read 559 times)

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Types of Law?
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
I'm a 0L about to go to law school.  I was wondering: Which "genre" or type of law do you think is most (and least) popular?  Which are most (and least) competitive to enter into the market for? 

Also, are there any types of law that focus or even touch on some sort of History? (I have an undergrad History degree and love History).

dandlewood

• AOL Instant Messenger - bmojob
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Types of Law?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:58:14 PM »
Most popular is probably PI (Personal Injury)
Least Popular? not too sure. Maybe tax?

Market difficulty is a matter of geography more than field type.

As for law and history? You'll love Consitutional law.
Made: St Thomas, Florida Coastal
Kiss of Death:Miami, American, Rutgers, Villanova
Paying back the Loan Shark:
Pending: Nova, Widener, Temple, Florida State, Howard, Drexel, Dusquesne, Penn State

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
I'm a 0L about to go to law school.  I was wondering: Which "genre" or type of law do you think is most (and least) popular?  Which are most (and least) competitive to enter into the market for? 

Also, are there any types of law that focus or even touch on some sort of History? (I have an undergrad History degree and love History).

Probably more attorneys practice personal injury law than any other type of law, but the field that the most law students want to enter is business law (meaning your corporations, business tax, bankruptcy, mergers and acquistions, labor, et cetera type classes)  That is because that law pays the most.

Least popular is hard to stay.  Most students hate tax class, but it pays well.  Family law is more popular of a class but pays terrible.  I am not sure there is a least favorite.

I agree with the above poster, you will will like conlaw.  I am trying to think of other types of law history plays an important role in and all I can think of is conflicts of law and that really only involves legal history. So if you don't know what legal formalism or legal realism is your history background might not help you that much.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:15:48 PM »
Property - i.e. estate planning or real estate seem like pretty solid areas, too.  Although TONS of people hate property with a passion - personally, I kind of like it, but oh well.

I also love torts - this is why I am interested in personal injury, as well.

Also, most ppl decide whether they want to litigate or not.  I'm interested in it.

Most people also decide whether they like (or are interested in) criminal law, too.

So I tell people I'm interested in Civil Litigation.  But I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do ... I don't think anyone is.  A lot of attorneys totally change paths at some point in their career it seems.