Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: help me compare my summer options  (Read 2396 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
help me compare my summer options
« on: March 24, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
I'm interested in general feedback regarding some of my 1L summer work offer so far-->

1) Unpaid internship with an advocacy group on Capitol Hill. Flexible scheduling, incl. opp for split summer.
2) Unpaid internship with JAG in Northern VA
3) Paid Research Ass't w/a law professor at my law school in an area of personal interest w/in the law

I did find out from my school that I may be able to create an externship #1 and #2. (Previously I thought there weren't). However, I'll be paying out-of-state tuition for the privilege of taking out more loans. In addition, I will be continuing to pay rent on my apt at school for the summer (subleasing/breaking lease are not options). No family $ assistance available.

Of the three, which would you do? I'm just looking for other's perspective; it won't necessarily factor into my decision-- just curious. Thanks!

Vanderbilt 2010

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: help me compare my summer options
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »
Id do JAG.  Research assistantships are great, but people primarily do them for one of two reasons 1) they couldnt get any other employment, or 2) they need to supplement an unpaid internship. 

I think Jag is more prestigious then the other.  I would say either way you need to chose either 1 or 2.  Whichever you chose shouldnt foreclose the option of being a research assistant either as its not a huge time commitment. 

just my 2 cents.

kulrythm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:01:29 PM »
What JAG?  I thought the Army JAG internship was paid at like an GS-7 or something. 

1LMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:32:06 PM »
Yeah, I also wonder what JAG isn't paid.  However, I would definitely say JAG.  You will get actual legal experience instead of busy work.

Peaches

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:53:59 PM »
It depends on the advocacy organization.  If it's a divisive issue or an organization you wouldn't want to spend a substantial amount of time talking about in an interview, I'd cross them off the list.  If it's something well-known and innocuous (an association of universities, an association of zoos) then I may bump it above JAG, especially if you're doing substantive work.

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »
JAG is good.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:07:28 PM »
although paying for summer credits does suck, i did it my 1l summer and its making life sooo much easier as a 2l/3l...    also - many schools allow you to reduce your tuition (and credit hours) to pt one semester and thus allow you to recoup the difference you paid from summer... something to think about if possible also

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »
although paying for summer credits does suck, i did it my 1l summer and its making life sooo much easier as a 2l/3l...    also - many schools allow you to reduce your tuition (and credit hours) to pt one semester and thus allow you to recoup the difference you paid from summer... something to think about if possible also

agreed, it makes life so much easier. 

a consideration is that many schools wont let you switch to part time because of residency requirements though.

will your school let you defer the credits and the tuition?  mine did that and it made the fall of my 2L year pretty chill.