Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany 2011  (Read 21666 times)

mayzell

• View Profile
Re: Albany 2011
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
Hey everyone. Just sent in my second deposit the other day so it's official, I'm going to Albany.
Looks like there's several of us 0L's on here now, huh?
My dad's co-worker has a friend that's a 2L at Albany.  I'll be e-mailing her soon. 
If I hear anything noteworthy I'll let you know.

Anyone actually start looking for an apt. or roommate?

My tour guide at Albany said that the vast majority of students live within a mile or so of the school.

RobAx

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
Hello Mayzell.....

I told a friend who lives in Albany that I would like to live within 3 miles of the school, and he said "that is the circumference of the whole city."  From what I understand, most students live within a mile from the school.

I will be taking a trip to Albany in the next couple weeks and post here afterwards.

Pauly680

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
I was telling Mayzell that I was thinking about living at the University Heights graduate housing....but as he predicted it is on a waitlist . Im not really looking to get roomies off of craigslist or anything like that , so I think i might live on my own for the first year . Does anyone know of any nice apartment complexes near the school ? ( walking distance or a short drive away ? )

lawlaw1021

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 03:20:14 PM »
Going to Albany!!! Glad to see I'm not the only one. I just visited the school yesterday and was really impressed with everything that they have to offer. I can't believe orientation is 4 days.
I hope housing isn't going to be difficult to find. I think I'll be going back to Albany in 3 weeks to look for an apartment. I'm just worried nothing will be available.

RobAx

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »
My friend who is currently an Albany Law student said he was wait listed, got accepted two weeks before orientation, and had no trouble at all finding an apartment.  He actually got a very nice one too.

laurenlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 10:10:09 PM »
I went to undergraduate in Albany for four years, and can also second that finding an apartment will not be difficult at all, especially since you're all looking during prime student time.  I'd just echo a few earlier suggestions, not to live in the "student ghetto" areas, which are downtown areas around streets like Hudson Ave/Quail/Lake along Western and Washington Aves.  Try to get an apartment further downtown, towards the state government offices.  Also some things to look for when choosing apartments in Albany:  how close are they to the bars? (strong emphasis on this in Albany) parking availability? (some streets are very restrictive on parking, but this usually is just a hassle rather than a deal breaker in Albany) also, try to introduce yourself to potential neighbors.  Albany is misleading because a lot of frat houses and undergraduate students live in houses, rather than individual apartment buildings, so it may appear as a residential neighborhood during the day but actually be an area overrun by undergrads.
These are just a few general ideas.  I know there are quite a few people on the boards who are familiar with the area, so feel free to ask people for advice on areas you're considering.  I know if I was stuck in the area I lived in as an undergrad, while trying to study for law school finals, I would have gone crazy.

lawlaw1021

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »
Thanks. That's good to know. ALS is really located in a nice area,(at least that's what it looked like when I visited.) I was actually considering Syracuse, but optioned for Albany because job prospects/bar passage rate looked much better. I'm actually surprised that it's not ranked higher. Has anyone heard anything about how the professors are?

albany09

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »
Pauly-
The Willard is an apartment complex right on the park.

Re: Prof.

There are some really good ones and some that are  probably really good at writing but not so much with the actual teaching.
You don't really get to choose your professors for a while and the administration tries to mix socratic and non socratic professors (although they failed miserably with my section):
Moore is a fantastic torts professor and I've heard she is also really amazing for civ pro.  Lytton is also suppose to be really good for torts.
Deutsch, you either love him or you hate him.  He is very socratic and demanding and for a little man is very intimidating.  I had him for Con Law and loved him even though he terrified me (and still does) He also teaches Contracts.   
I haven't had a single professor there that was not approachable, its a small school so classes are pretty small and most of the profs are really personable

lawlaw1021

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »
Thanks for the info. I was kinda curious about the whole field placement and clinics that are offered at Albany- can you participate in both or even do both at the same time?

bmurphy4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2008, 11:41:52 PM »
Hey guys, I just paid my deposit for the Fall. I went to undergrad at SUNY Binghamton in upstate NY, but for the past year I've been working at a law firm in Boston.
It was a tough decision, because I was offered the night program at Suffolk.
I liked the Albany campus a lot when I visited and the students seem nice. Also, I prefer the day program, which is the main reason I chose Albany over Suffolk.

I'll be spending a couple weekends looking at apt's in the next month. Let me know how all of your searches go. I'm also thinking about getting a cheap car. I don't need one here in Boston, but it's almost a necessity in upstate NY.