Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany 2011  (Read 21936 times)

Pauly680

• View Profile
Albany 2011
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »
Is anyone going to or considering going to Albany in the fall ?? It would be cool to know a few people , or even get ideas on some good places to live up there

Pauly680

• View Profile
Re: Albany 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:19:51 PM »
54 views and no one has anything to add ?

Throw me a fricken bone here...I need the info

DCKippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:24:36 PM »
I'm considering Albany for this fall.  I've never been up there so I can't help you in that regard but good luck with your search!

Pauly680

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 05:55:48 AM »
Its all good Kippy ...Thanks for the reply .

After 1100 views I get a reply....ill take that as progress haha . I visited the school and I liked it alot , im just trying to figure out what areas are affordable , somewhat close to school , and close to things to do .

If anyone is going next year or has any suggestions let me know

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »
I lived in Albany for 8 years (college and then some).  Anything near Washington Park or Lark Street/Center Square is going to be close to the law school and close to the downtown action.  When I was there, Albany was really affordable, so those areas weren't bad even though they tend to be the trendier parts of town.  I moved 8 years ago, tho (eek!) so can't say whether that's still the case. 

I would visit if at all possible, because it's very hard to get a sense for Albany's different neighborhoods from afar.  You want to steer clear of the SUNY student ghettos (they're awful; I wouldn't even live there as an undergrad) but it'll be tough to figure that out with out some sense for the city. 

DCKippy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 01:09:50 PM »
Pauly,  even though I'm still waiting to hear from a number of schools it looks like I'm probably going to end up at Albany (at least for a year).  I will likely be going up to Albany sometime in May and they're having a reception here in DC on the 18th of May for accepted students so if I learn anything either place I'll let you know!

Pauly680

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:23:50 PM »
Jolie -  Thanks for the heads up ! I went to visit for a day , but I didnt really get a good feel for the area . Ill be heading up soon to look for places and ill def take your advice and stay away from that whole SUNY / Crossgates mall area . Have you heard anything good or bad about some of the surrounding areas like Cohoes or Colonie ? BTW....how is the parking situation in Albany in general ??

Kippy - If you decide to go for sure PM me . It would be nice to know someone before school starts ..and it might work out to have a study partner from day 1 . Thanks again

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
That's the thing - it's not the area around campus to avoid.  That area's fine, if a little boring and suburban for my taste.  There are neighborhoods downtown where the students tend to live that are just plain gross, but it's tough to describe them to someone not familiar with the area. 

Me personally, I would def. live in downtown Albany rather than in the surrounding 'burbs.  It's much closer to school and Albany is an amazing little city.  But I'm not really a 'burbs kind of gal.  Cohoes is crazy far, particularly with so much good real estate closer to campus.  Colonie isn't bad - that's where the main SUNY campus is technically located.  The closest suburb besides Colonie is probably Delmar, which is also not bad.  Or Rensselaer.  But again, I'd stay within the city limits. 

Parking in Albany is pretty easy - near the capitol and in the business district it's all metered, but most of the rest of the city has free street parking.  Just pay attention to the signage (occasional trick alternate-side stuff) and you'll be fine.  Plus many places have off-street parking. 

DCKippy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
Jolie, is it possible to survive in Albany without a car?  I've been spoiled by public transportation in DC and am now facing the possibility of venturing out into a world that uses cars without one of my own.

scarlett

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:22:48 PM »
I always had a car in Albany, but it's not totally necessary.  It's a very bikeable city (apart from the snow, anyway) and there's a  good bus system.  Several of my college friends lived off-campus without cars, and several friends who still live there commute to work downtown by bus. 

That said, it's not the best public transportation in the world - certainly not by D.C. standards.