Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer or not  (Read 1051 times)

Pauly680

• View Profile
Transfer or not
« on: March 23, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
Just a hypo for some of you that may already be in school .... Do you think it is better to transfer from a T3 to a T1 and graduate somewhere in the middle of your class or to stay at your T3 and graduate in the top 10 % ?

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer or not
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:56:27 PM »
either way, options would be limited as far as jobs go.

My advice would probably be to transfer to the better school, that way, a few years down the line when grades no longer matter, you will at least have the school.  I feel like where you went is always important (unless you really really distinguish yourself in your work), but what grades you got have a diminished impact over time.

Just my two cents, take it for what it is.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:32:35 PM »
Pauly - top 10% at my T3 has done nothing for me so far.  That might change in the 2nd year, as some people here have suggested, but in this economy I am wondering if entire piles of T3 applications are being thrown aside regardless of class rank.

I am going to do my best to transfer and would definitely recommend you to try it out as well...
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

MrBrett1117

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
This has been posted on every transfer thread, but it bears repeating:  don't go to a school if you wouldn't be happy graduating at its median.  You can never bank on doing well enough to transfer.  Hypo threads like this are useless because they never take into account how hard it is to be in the top 10%, even at a T3.

If going to a bigger name school is important, take a year off and retake the LSAT.

Pauly680

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
Pauly - top 10% at my T3 has done nothing for me so far.  That might change in the 2nd year, as some people here have suggested, but in this economy I am wondering if entire piles of T3 applications are being thrown aside regardless of class rank.

I am going to do my best to transfer and would definitely recommend you to try it out as well...

Do you mind if I ask what region of the country you go to school in ? Thanks for the advice by the way..much appreciated !

Pauly680

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »
This has been posted on every transfer thread, but it bears repeating:  don't go to a school if you wouldn't be happy graduating at its median.  You can never bank on doing well enough to transfer.  Hypo threads like this are useless because they never take into account how hard it is to be in the top 10%, even at a T3.

If going to a bigger name school is important, take a year off and retake the LSAT.
I have no delusions about how hard it is to be in the top 10 , not am i trying to transfer  out of a school i havent started yet . Im just curious as to which one of these options , should they present themselves , would be the wisest course of action . No crime in trying to be well informed is there ?

MrBrett1117

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 08:11:27 AM »
I certainly agree that being informed is a good thing.  However, all I am trying to point out is that if you want to end up at a higher ranked school, the better plan, by far, is to retake the LSAT and get the score you need.