Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NY court of appeals clerkship  (Read 3560 times)

tribelaw

• View Profile
NY court of appeals clerkship
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
Hey,

Does anyone know what kind of stats you need to be considered for the NY court of appeals clerkship?  Can't seem to find what the judges prefer...

thanks!

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NY court of appeals clerkship
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:43:10 PM »
I'm curious about this myself.  I've always heard that a state supreme court clerkship is as competitive as a federal district clerkship.  Since it is NY, arguably the most competitive market in the country, would it be more competitive/prestigious than a district court clerkship?

T2Loser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:18:22 PM »
Since it is NY, arguably the most competitive market in the country, would it be more competitive/prestigious than a district court clerkship?
No, but good for a state court.

AntoniusBlock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:47:59 AM »
Since it is NY, arguably the most competitive market in the country, would it be more competitive/prestigious than a district court clerkship?
No, but good for a state court.
I think this is a little oversimplified.  If you are planning on practicing in New York, I think a NY CoA is going to be more beneficial than a district court clerkship in a different part of the country.  If you plan to move elsewhere, the state clerkship will probably not carry as much weight.